 Star Wars / 7415
Re: Millennium Falcon Opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 21:15:45 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Sandlin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:

'scuse me?  I thought kids were supposed to have *fun* with LEGO first, • not
suffer through character-building exercises.

But I tend to agree with Fredrick's explanation, anyway.  The fewer
part-color combinations there are, the simpler (cheaper) the packing
process is for TLC.  They've got to set up a different feeder for each
part-color, so if there are fewer combinations, that's fewer feeders, and • a
cheaper packing line.

Steve

Scuse me? Since when was building things out of LEGO considered
"suffering?" I sure wasn't "suffering" when I was a kid and got my 6980
Galaxy Commander... I was thrilled! It was the biggest spaceship of the
LEGO lineup at the time! And look, it's primarily made from blue and
white! Even when I mistook a 2x2 slope for a 2x3 slope and had to go
back a few steps to fix it, I still wasn't "suffering".

Why not make it REAL easy and just fill all the packages with POOPs?
Then we won't have to make the li'l youngsters suffer through the agony
of having to assemble all those little, different parts. It'll be lots cheaper,
too!

We sure wouldn't want anyone to have to use their brains... that might be
HARD.

Come on, man. Let's give kids a bit more credit for their intelligence.

~Mark

Well-said.  Kids don't suffer for being asked to use their brains and develop a
few problem-solving skills.  IMHO, sets should be designed with attractiveness
in mind (and, in regards to SW, with accuracy as well); who cares what color a
child's MOC's are when he/she is just sifting through the bricks?; But, I think
that challenging a kid to follow-through with a model design is a good
character-building exercise.  I have a nephew who had "I can't do it, will you
do it for me?" syndrome because he had low self-esteem.  I started walking him
through the steps on some Lego sets, and pretty soon he learned that he could
carry a project through from beginning to end - it helped him see his goals,
meet those goals, and build confindence.  Anyway, the same could have happened
if the X-Wing we put together had been color-mismatched, but having pieces of
the same color develops an eye for detail.