 Star Wars / 7381
Re: Millennium Falcon Opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 20:06:06 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

OK.  Then why was the 40% too small scale used: in ESB when the Falcon is • being
chased by TIEs

How can you tell?

Because they are flying right near each other.  If the size difference were say
10% then I would understand how one could not tell but 40% is very significant

, in ROTJ when the Falcon and Luke's X-wing leaves Tattooine,

How can you tell?

and
in the dog fighting scence durring the Battle of Endor.

How can you tell?

(Basically
everytime the outside of the ship is shown flying.)

Maybe because it was 'the movies', and strict reality must always fall
victim to the dictates of showing a good story?

That is, you can fit more of the Falcon in the frame if the stage-model is
smaller.  Which makes the scene look better, because viewers can tell that
it's the Falcon, not just a wall of scrap.

That's just a guess.  The other rumor I heard was that the size mismatch
between the interior sets and the exterior set was a mistake in the first
movie.

Well the usuall rules of canon (canon = concrete information in a ficticious
universe that is consider 'real') are that what we see in the movie is what's
real.  Obviously this is a problem with the Falcon which can't exist in
reality.

Lego's Falcon is near
perfect external scale compared to their X-wing.

That's too bad.  The internal-set scale makes a lot more sense, based on
what the interior of the Falcon is supposed to hold and do.  Which is
probably why it's a more popular choice as the 'correct' scale for the MF.

I agree I prefer the internal scale myself.  However to say that TLC screwed up
the scale is an incorrect statement they merely used the one we see when the
ship is flying next to other craft.  Luke's X-wing for example.

Hopefully TLC will make a UCS Falcon that is mini-fig internal scale and is all
grey.

Steve

-Lord Insanity