 Space / 15421
Re: New legend is up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:15:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
Dunno.  I don't think there is a single space set that sums up the category
as neatly as the BSB does for pirates.

Agree-- Space doesn't have a clear Legend set, I don't think. Or, well,
that's not really true. The Galaxy Explorer is probably that Legend set--
It's just not very marketable to "today's youth". However I do think there
were better picks than Battrax; or at least some that could have competed
more fairly with the other nominees.

Hmm.  It may be true that there is no single archetypical Space set, but
I can come up with a fair list of sets that I'd be happy to see as
Legends.  I've compiled such a list, but I might be biased.  I'm
definitely working from incomplete information -- I've never seen most
Space sets in person.  I also tried to limit myself to picking one set
from each subtheme, just to keep the size of the list down.

Blacktron: 6954 Renegade
The asymmetric design is still very cool, after all these years.

Blacktron Future Generation: 6887 Allied Avenger
Small and neat, unique design, but it works.
(I like the 6981 Aerial Intruder, too; but it looks a bit goofier)

Classic Space: 497 Galaxy Explorer
I'm going with the crowd on this one -- I totally missed Classic Space,
and the 497 doesn't really thrill me.

Futuron:  6932 Star Defender "200"
I was at a loss for Futuron - there's no hope for monorail, and all of
the Futuron sets look a bit odd to me.

Ice Planet:  I can't decide on one!  I'd be happy with any of these:
6879 Blizzard Baron, 6898 Ice-Sat V, 6973 Deep Freeze Defender, 6983 Ice
Station Odyssey.  Ice Planet: the colors were weird, but the models were
cool. :)

M:Tron: 6989 Mega Core Magnetizer.
(6923 Particle Ionizer would also be sweet!)

Space Police: 6781 SP-Striker
(that light bar makes this one unlikely)

Space Police II: 6897 Rebel Hunter

Spyrius:  1843 Attacker
I love that little ship!

Unitron: 1789 Star Hawk II
OMG, this is one of the *sweetest* ship designs ever to come out of the
Futura spacedock!  It doesn't have the nostalgia of the 497, but this
one is *way* cooler on its own merits.