 General / 37504
Re: New legend is up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:31:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
Yes, but the counter-point was that all sets were highly rated and therefore
it was still the fault of public opinion - if the Battrax was such a sure
fire loser, perhaps people should rethink their rating of it.  I'll be
curious if there are future votes or if they got enough marketing info out
of this so that they feel confident in making their own selections.

Assuming that Lugnet voting stats were what set their standards, I suppose
so. But I'd hope they put more criteria into their research. Basically, I
coulda predicted that it was at a disadvantage (I suppose I have no way of
knowing that it didn't come in 2nd, so I could be wrong), so I would expect
them to kinda realize that.  But again, if their intent was *also* to test
small sets vs. large sets, etc, I have no problem with their selection. But
I'd still say it was "unfair" to the Space theme since the other sets it was
going against were all larger.

I wondered if this would be a boost or a hindrance.  I voted for the set
that I thought was the best representative of being a Legend, not the one
that I actually preferred to go into production.  I felt the 6074 was going
to be the best buy, very attractively priced, and therefore would have a lot
of adherents (and a worthy Legend in its own right).  I saw many comments
here on Lugnet that the Barracuda was a fine set, but they weren't voting
for it because it was going to be too much money and that they would prefer
a better value.

I went with better production value rather than best representative, mostly
because I want to encourage Lego to re-release more sets and for them to
make such heaping gobs of money that they're inclined to re-release more of
them. I went with 6074, cuz it was the best price/piece, and I'd buy the
most of that set, and spend the most money overall on that set.

The average person will probably not buy multiple copies - that's more of a
Lugnet member's habit - and Lego has made it clear that Lugnet is at best
the tip of the iceberg when it comes to buying.  I also suspect there is a
higher profit margin in the big sets, so making a dollar for dollar
comparison on the purchaser's end may not relate directly to Lego's profit.

Oh, my thought was that your average person won't buy MULTIPLE copies, but
they're more likely to buy a smaller set. "Only $20? Sure, I'll buy one"
versus "$100? That's a bit much. I'll think about it."

Battrax is overrated?  Or ratings do not transalate into what is a "Legend"?

I'd say that's true. I mean, there's lots of little sets which are great,
but I wouldn't consider "Legends". Although despite that, I'd still want
them to be re-issued. Again, I think the thing with allowing fans to vote is
that voters will generally prefer the grandeur of larger sets over smaller
ones... Not that the smaller ones aren't worthy...

Dunno.  I don't think there is a single space set that sums up the category
as neatly as the BSB does for pirates.

Agree-- Space doesn't have a clear Legend set, I don't think. Or, well,
that's not really true. The Galaxy Explorer is probably that Legend set--
It's just not very marketable to "today's youth". However I do think there
were better picks than Battrax; or at least some that could have competed
more fairly with the other nominees.

But people generally buy smaller sets, so I'm not sure your observation
about larger sets having an advantage is true.

Again, I think this is just the way people think-- if you've got two equal
quality sets, people will generally like the large one more. And as said,
small sets may be a better option for Lego since people will more likely
*buy* smaller sets. But my guess is that most people voting (mostly kids is
my guess) aren't thinking about the price or the part selection-- they're
thinking about size and coolness.

The Guarded Inn is a case in
point, and I'd vote for the smaller 6074 over the larger Yellow Castle, even
with the original minifig accesories.

Oh yes. If it came down to the Knights' Procession vs. Yellow Castle? I'd
vote for the small set. Cuz what interests me are the 'figs, not the yellow
bricks. Give that same choice to J. Random Kid, though, and I'd bet he'd
choose the Yellow Castle.

As to it being a contest between
themes, you answered that yourself: it isn't by any means.  So I don't
really see your comment about space being at a "disadvantage" as having much
of a point.

Eh, mostly I'm not adamant about the contest between themes. I don't really
care that the Space theme was at a disadvantage, but if you want to think
about it in those terms, I'd agree that it was. I'd just rather not think
about ONLY the theme issues-- I'm more concerned about other things.

If the Battrax was such a sure-fire loser, then I think Lego
will pick up on that and search for a different Space set to become a
Legend, production considerations permitting.

For the sake of the Space theme, I hope so, but that's about it. I'll still
vote for other things if they're better than the Space selection. I don't
particularly care if no Space Legends come out-- just so long as we get good
Legend sets...

The only thing that anyone is really complaining about in the end is in what
order are their particular tastes going to be mollified.  The complete
disappearance of Pirates may have been a large factor in the BSB winning.

Agree. Pirates had the longest dormant period between re-releases, I
think... Star Wars is at least some consolation to Space fans, and HP (*and*
SW oddly enough) are again at least some consolation to Castle fans. Pirate
theme has been without alternative for some time, though...

DaveE