 General / 37495
Re: New legend is up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:54:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
With all due respect, I don't think your example holds water.

Well, point of the example wasn't to say that it's the *same* as what was
offered, but that just because there's a vote doesn't mean it's the voters'
"fault". IE that it's possible for TLC to give certain nominees a
better/worse chance of winning.

I'm sure part of the selection was because they wanted to include sets of
different sizes.

Oh, definitely. And therein is another bag of worms. People tend to love big
sets more than little ones-- the classics that people remember as legends
tend to be large sets. Not as a rule, but usually. So that gives a bit of a
push for the other nominees.

Interesting aside though-- I'll probably get 1 BSB. If Main Street had one,
I'd probably have gotten 1 too. Same with the Yellow Castle. But *SMALL*
sets people will more often buy in large numbers. People can rationalize
buying small things, but big things tend to be harder. I'd probably have
bought many more Battrax's or BFF's if they had won. Would I have have spent
more money *total*? Dunno. Would TLC make more money total? Dunno. My hunch
is yes, though.

Also note that those high (public) ratings undoubtedly helped
guide Lego in their selections, so it's still a case of blame the public.

Well, the point is really that the other sets were more what AFOL's tend to
think of as Legends. Town Legends? I think Main Street, Airport Shuttle.
Castle Legends? I think Guarded Inn, Yellow Castle. Pirates? Black Seas
Barracuda. Trains? Metroliner. But Space legends? Battrax isn't one of the
first few things that leaps into my head. Although, granted that I think
it's got more appeal for "today's youth" than the Galaxy Explorer or the
Alpha-I Rocket Base, versus things like Main Street, BSB, etc., which I
think are still pretty marketable as is.

Combine that with the fact that people just generally prefer larger sets and
I think Battrax kinda was at a disadvantage. Certainly I don't disagree with
them choosing it to "test the waters", but if this is regarded as strictly a
contest between *themes* (which it isn't by any means), then one could (I
think) fairly argue that the Space theme was at a disadvantage.

DaveE