 General / 37515
Re: New legend is up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:10:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

I'm sure part of the selection was because they wanted to include sets of
different sizes.

Oh, definitely. And therein is another bag of worms. People tend to love big
sets more than little ones-- the classics that people remember as legends
tend to be large sets. Not as a rule, but usually. So that gives a bit of a
push for the other nominees.

The other thing about the larger sets is that we were probably less likely
to buy them when we were kids, but now we're adults with more cash to spend,
and we'd love to get that set we always wanted as a kid but couldn't afford.
I was a Classic Space kid, and I've got almost all of the small sets from
the late '70s, but I never got the Galaxy Explorer, Space Command Base, or
Beta-1 Command Base.

The only problem with this argument is that it makes the assumption that
everyone buying a Legends set is an adult who missed buying it the first
time 'round.  I would suggest that perhaps a greater majority of buyers
would be first-time purchasers of any given set.  Therefore, a Legend can be
any size (large or small) and still find an audience.  Just because you (and
I) have most of the original small classic space sets, doesn't mean that
every other space fan has them too.

Quick example from my own experience.  I had lots of LEGO as a kid.  Lots of
both large and small sets.  But I never had this one:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/387

Until just recently when I bought it as part of a lot from an old friend.
This is a small set (perhaps 100 - 120 pieces) but for whatever reason I
never got it as a kid; though I got much larger, much more expensive sets.
So wouldn't a set like that (not necessarily _that_ exact set) make a good
Legend?  I think sets with good original design make good Legends.  The size
of the set is sort of meaningless.

All the best,
Allan B.