 General / 37541
Re: New legend is up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:26:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:

Of course, also remember, I was only offering this an an example of the
_type_ of smaller set that _might_ make a reissue candidate.  I'm sure other
people could think of lots of other possibilities.  I go off my own memories
and my own collection.  There must be dozens of other less than 150 piece
sets that we could talk about in this vein.

Indeed. But I think it's important to get a better handle on what's
desirable and what is not.

In what way?  Some sort of unofficial vote perhaps?  Or are you referring to
something else?

For me, anyway, if it's pre minifig era, it's not that interesting of a set.
(regardless of whether it has slopes or inverse slopes or what have you) The
advent of the minifig was when set design really blossomed.

This is probably true for some people.  Though I'm not sure how the minifig
and good set design are related.

So, to me, anyway, three out of 4 of the sets you list are uninteresting.

And to me they are interesting.

But as I heavily stressed in my comments..... those were just sets that I
could think of.  I strongly suggested that others would have completely
different lists; all for valid reasons.  My point wasn't that those were
sets I thought should be reissued.  Only that smaller sets could potentially
be reissued, alongside larger ones.  Everything in moderation, that's my
motto.  :)

Too primitive to be considered classics by me, they are of historical
interest only, and will not be usable in my collection (which is minifig
scale) as is... they would only serve as parts sources. Perhaps good parts
sources, but zero play value as is. (I am a layout builder, when I get time)

You could claim that the Double Decker Bus (set #384) is also primitive by
today's standards.  But wouldn't some people enjoy it not only for its
original design, but also for all those slopes and windows?

As well, the Lunar Base (set #367) looks clunky and outdated in blue.  But
imagine it released as a Legend in shades of grey.  All those slopes with
which to build other models.

I'm just floating the idea that some of the old sets, although dated, could
be turned into a Legend if so desired.  But so could many good (large and
small) sets from the 80's and of course 90's.  I'm not suggesting that any
of these sets ever come out again, only that they _could_.

That's not the only opinion out there of course, and I have collected a few
pre minifig sets mostly to satisfy my own desire for sets of historical
interest, but I suspect that pre minifig sets are not viable candidates from
a production volume standpoint.

I don't agree, but you are entitled to feel this way.  I would suggest there
are things other than minifigs being included which make a set great.  None
of the super cars have minifigs, but people seem to like them.  :)

That may not be YOUR opinion of course, but I suspect a survey would reveal
that you're in a small minority.

I have long ago realized that I am a minority of one.  My opinion usually
_doesn't_ jive with the masses.  And I'm perfectly happy with that.  :)

LEGO(r) being a business, that matters.

?  Is this a new slogan?  Or a dangling issue/point you were trying to make?
Sorry, you lost me on this one.

Best regards,
Allan B.