 General / 37508
Re: New legend is up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:24:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

I'm sure part of the selection was because they wanted to include sets of
different sizes.

Oh, definitely. And therein is another bag of worms. People tend to love big
sets more than little ones-- the classics that people remember as legends
tend to be large sets. Not as a rule, but usually. So that gives a bit of a
push for the other nominees.

Not to disagree, but rather to offer an alternative position, I have to say
I wish they'd look to some of the _smaller_ sets as possible reissues.

Back when the Legends series was first announced, I posted a suggestion
stating this.  For some of us, our fondest memories of LEGO are built on
small sets, not always the larger ones.  For myself, some examples would
include the following:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/611
My very very first set.

or
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/442
My first introduction to the Classic Space series.

or
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/386
If you want a NON-violent and extremely well-designed action set that could
go for a mid-range price.

Similarly,
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/371_3
Offers one of the classic LEGO planes in a set with only 115 pieces.  I flew
this plane for hours as a kid.

None of these sets has more than 135 pieces.  The point being you don't need
to be a monster sized set to be considered a true classic.

But Space legends? Battrax isn't one of the
first few things that leaps into my head. Although, granted that I think
it's got more appeal for "today's youth" than the Galaxy Explorer or the
Alpha-I Rocket Base, versus things like Main Street, BSB, etc., which I
think are still pretty marketable as is.

To be honest, I'd never heard of the 'Battrax' until this voting came about.
Any of the original classic space sets would (in my opinion) have made
better candidates.  I'm sure the Galaxy Explorer has gotten more press on
LUGNET and RTL than most any other space set.  Though I'm not a hard core
space nut, I am a classic space fan from the very beginning. I have several
sets from the first year they were released.  I think space has gotten a raw
deal as of late from the company.  I hope things improve soon.

Combine that with the fact that people just generally prefer larger sets and
I think Battrax kinda was at a disadvantage. Certainly I don't disagree with
them choosing it to "test the waters", but if this is regarded as strictly a
contest between *themes* (which it isn't by any means), then one could (I
think) fairly argue that the Space theme was at a disadvantage.

I agree with your last statement.  However, I think it was the quality not
the size of the set that sank the Battrax.  Put up against classic space
sets like this:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/924

or this:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/918_1

it is simply outclassed.  These were part of the line that helped make
classic space.........classic.  :)

Regards,
Allan B.