 General / 37496
Re: New legend is up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:55:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kerry Raymond writes:

[See the previous posts for the data for all 5 top reasons]

It's tempting to say 632 votes beats 273 votes. Barracuda wins.

But these are not the votes for the sets themselves, only the votes for the
5 top reasons for liking the set. Obviously if there was a wider range of
reasons for liking one set than another, then the votes for the set overall
would be spread more thinly than those reasons than for a set with a smaller
range of "popular opinions". In which case the overall most-popular set
could (theoretically) show lower votes per top reason than a less popular
set.

It depends on how early in the voting the opinion was first added to the
list.  If I recall, the top vote getter was only around 50-60 when I added
that bit about the Barracuda (yes, I mentioned it here out of sheer vanity
since it was the top reason for the eventual winner).  It should be noted
that Lego condensed my actual comments, which were about three times the
length of what was listed.

The more opinions that people listed, the more the votes had a chance to be
diffused over a greater area.  Note how the Yello Castle opinions dive down
to the low 40s, and the Pirates opinions hover around 50%.  If a popular
choice came in late in the cycle, it may have a high percentage, but a low
vote count.  The Pirate opinion leaders changed quite a bit from when I
voted fairly early in the process.  Still, I think one gets some sense of
how the voting went by the sheer numbers listed.

However, is there any good reason to think that the number of popular
opinions would be significantly wider for one set than another? This is
possibly more a question about human behaviour than the sets themselves.

It would be interesting to see all the opinions listed and there final vote
totals.  I'm sure the people at Lego found all that juicy marketing
information fascinating.  :-)

Indeed, it makes me wonder who actually participates in these Lego My
Opinion surveys, and whether it is in any way representative of actual
customer demographic. I suspect that AFOLs are disproportionately
represented in these surveys. Look at the top reasons. Most of them sound
like the person has some prior knowledge of the set (possibly having owned
or built it even), e.g. "It is unsurpassed as a display piece", "quite the
catch to even own one", "the set that started the whole Castle theme", "This
set well represents classic lego ".

I think the people that bothered to write their own opinions did indeed
already own a copy, but one cast their vote before they got a chance to
select the opinions, if I recall the order correctly.

Bruce