 Off-Topic / Debate / 9261
Re: Problems with Darwin's theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:53:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Doesn't science involve repeatable and verifiable "lab tests"?
Isn't studying fossils and putting forth a theory based upon those
fossils something more within the field of archeology than science?

You pretty much proved with the above statement that you truly DON'T grok
science at all.  Think about it for a while.

Well, I wonder a bit about this-- is 1900's American History a science?
Sure, but we don't often think of it as such. The only reason we tend to
think of archeology as a 'science' or biology as a 'science' is that they're
more based off of repeatable 'lab tests' etc. rather than personal
experience and hearsay evidence (written, photographed, spoken or otherwise)

As for what Steve said, I wouldn't be so quick to jump down his throat about
it-- I expect it was intended to mean something rather different. I won't be
so quick to say he doesn't understand science (where the heck did 'grok'
come from?) but on that note, where would archeology be without repeatable
lab tests proving radioactive carbon dating, sedimentary compositions, etc.?
Probably not very far along... In other words, archeology (in its present
form) IS based on 'science', as far as science being measured in 'lab
tests'. But really science is anything that examines evidence according to
the scientific method. Certainly the different branches of science (biology
and archeology) aren't the same, but in order to be sciences, they must at
least acknowledge the evidence that the other field produces (or examines)
and not contradict with it. And as such, the many 'sciences' intertwine into
a more encompassing 'science'...

DaveE