 Off-Topic / Debate / 9275
Re: Problems with Darwin's theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 18:36:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Arnold Staniczek writes:
Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: G8CJyH.BCq@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Arnold Staniczek writes:
History is entirely about interpret-
   ation; there is no such thing as an objective fact in history,
   only prevailing interpretations based on the values and understandings
   of the historian

Hm, let's see: Gerald Ford was a president of the U.S. Is this an objective historical fact or not?

   We makes certain assumptions about its meaning.  We (at least the
   Americans) will all understand these because we're in the same
   rhetorical system.

But don't you differentiate between the fact as such and the
assumptions and conclusions you draw from it? To my understanding,
THERE ARE objective facts in history (see above).

   There are two levels of mediation:  That of the writer, and that
   of the reader.  You and I may agree that Ford being President
   constitutes and objective fact because our reading (or your
   writing and my reading) are the same, or similar enough.  I
   guess that by taking the "no objective facts" tack, I'm being
   too deconstructionist--there are objective realities, but we
   never have complete access to them; some truths are, to quote
   the pundits, truer than others.  For example, is "Gerald R.
   Ford was 38th President of the United States between the resignation
   of Richard M. Nixon in 1974 and the accession of James F. Carter
   on 20 January 1976" truer than, less true than, or equally true to
   "Gerald Ford was a president of the U.S."?  It offers up very
   different levels of information and, thus, interpretation--it
   closes off possible avenues of uncertainty.

   This level of historical self-doubt is only really necessary
   if you're a professional historian (and even then it's very
   frustrating and even infuriating).  But it underscores
   the premise that arranging data and coming to conclusions about
   history is more an art than a science--it's about composition
   and rhetoric as much as it is about "facts and figures". (Oh,
   and an awful lot of loaded scare-quotes. :) )

   I'll have to dig up the citation of an excellent article on
   objective versus subjective reality and the existence of historical
   facts--only problem being my copy is interred with the rest of my
   papers back in NJ.  :(

   best,

   LFB