 Off-Topic / Debate / 9180
Re: Problems with Darwin's theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:56:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Franks writes:

Some more thoughts:

If cats really evolved from dogs (my example - feel
free to adjust it to fit the theoretical "tree of life") slowly and gradually
over millions of years, then there should be more "transition" fossils than
the species fossils themselves, right?  Where are they?

If you think of the number of animals that have existed over the previous X
million years, and the small fraction of these whose remains have survived to
exist as fossils, and the smaller fraction of these which actually have been
found and then identified; then it's not suprising that there are gaps in any
"tree of life".

Studies into Artificial Life have shown that Darwinian evolution can work by
having relatively large periods of inactivity, with small periods of genetic
recombination.

Which (admittedly convieniently) explains why there aren't many transition
fossils; but then you can set up an ALife experiment on your computer which
demonstrates Darwinian Evolution in action.

Here's another "convenient" explanation. Life consists of the most successful
organisms as constrained by environment and history. Obviously some organisms
are very successful under a wide range of conditions: cycads, sharks and
cockroaches come to mind. Those that are less successful are likely to die out,
or if they're really lucky evolve into something more successful. If you're not
the best, change or die. One way of solving this is to become better at the same
thing as your competitors (the Toyota solution). Another way is to become better
at a totally new thing (the Nintendo solution). So if there's a pathway to
optimising or innovating, it will be found quickly, which is why eyes and wings
are a lot more popular than light sensitive nerves and gliding membranes.

(This is a version of Todd's n-space explanation, applied to the sum(product?)
of the gene and environment spaces: Toyota=top of the hill, Nintendo=new hill)

I challenge you to show me ANY scientific evidence supporting the
current theory of evolution of species.

I don't think we can do this 'in the real world' - the vital evidence has
crumbled to dust.

Except of course for the vital evidence of DNA similarity, which shows for
example that humans are essentially chimps with arrested development.

I invite you to start with "my"
first point against Darwinism that none of its supporters has yet been
able to successfully refute - The fossil record does not support evolution.

We honestly don't know enough (IMHO) to make that statement. But I will happily
agree that it doesn't prove evolution.

See my argument here: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=9028

I don't understand the Darwin/Creationism conflict. The more I study evolution,
the more in awe I am of it. It's a beautifily simple, yet immensely powerful
force. If I were a diety, I would be incredibly proud of it.

I'd also be peeved with upstarts who refused to admire my creation in all its
glory, <blatant troll> preferring to idolise a Jew with some good ideas <blatant
troll>.

--DaveL