 Off-Topic / Debate / 9247
Re: Problems with Darwin's theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 22:34:57 GMT

Rearranged to make points and snipped almost at whim.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:

I've even narrowed it to one small portion of the theory and
one simple statement waiting for refutation - The fossil record
does not support evolution.

You claim we haven't provided evidence refuting it. Yet we have
discussed the wide variety of fossils, the different ages of various
fossils, the transitional fossils, dealt with much of the junk science
from these creationist resources posted, etc. etc. in an attempt
to satisfy this statement of yours.

I've read some general statements which make huge assumptions.
What I'm asking for is some evidence - Some simple basic evidence.

Which has been done. You don't accept it. Not our problem. But the evidence
is out there, and has been studied and researched for decades. Centuries in
some cases. Your response to any particular thing is to deny, claim
inapplicability or ignore it.

I don't think it is our job to provide you a complete regurgitation of all
of paleontology. The evidence is out there. Further, evidence from other
fields supports it as well.

As I said before:
The onus is on you, as the advancer of what is now (after many
many decades of serious science on this topic and a pretty robust
theory) an extraordinary claim, to provide extraordinary evidence
in support of creationism.

Further effort on our part is pointless. You just don't grok science.

If I don't accept Darwinism, (or "macro-evolution" or whatever the
preferred name is) how does that mean I don't "grok" science?

Doesn't science involve repeatable and verifiable "lab tests"?

No. Science is more than labwork. You don't grok science.

Isn't studying fossils and putting forth a theory based upon those
fossils something more within the field of archeology than science?

No. Archeology *is* a science. You don't grok science.

And no again. studying fossils which have been proven to be far far older
than the earliest humans is not archeology. It's paleontology. You don't
grok science.

Or better yet, answer my question. Why persist? Why not just say
you accept the whole improbable mess on faith and leave it at that.
This thrashing around just makes you look increasingly silly, just
like if you were trying to prove the moon was actually made of
green cheese after Apollo brought rocks back.

Why do you keep turning things around rather than addressing the
issue?  I've said I'm not trying to prove creation, and I've also said
I'm not asking anyone to prove evolution.  I _have_ said that I
accept creation on faith - I'm asking that (collective) you admit
the equivalent.

Why? I've already said I accept that some confidence in your ability to
observe things (that is, that there isn't a malevolent god playing tricks on
you) is needed. But other than that, evolution is supported by the evidence.
Literal creationism *isn't*. It's that simple.

So yes. I hereby say that I have faith that there isn't a malevolent god
that is maliciously faking the evidence and making evolution look likely
when actually it wasn't what happened. But I could be wrong.

Happy now?

Isn't insultingly dismissing someone (or something)
with whom you disagree the mark of a closed mind?

Indeed. That's what you're doing.

You've dismissed the work of hundreds of years by thousands (hundreds of
thousands??) of scientists because reality apparently conflicts with your
pet belief system.

My dismissal of your foolishness in doing so pales in comparision.

++Lar