 Off-Topic / Debate / 9273
Re: Problems with Darwin's theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:48:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Mount Cadiz, southern California.  An exposed abuttement of Cambrian and
Precambrian rock.  Zillions of Trilobites.  Hip deep in them.  Zillions may
be an underestimate.

  Oh cool!  I've wondered where that was.  I've seen pictures of the
  exposed strata--have you been lucky enough to be there in person?
  I want to go to California...dumb luck being born in a part of the
  US that got shaven down to the Devonian by those dagnab glaciers.
  And, for some reason, we don't have many trilobites.

Yup, been there, done that.  I think it was for a class in stratigraphy many
years ago.  It was the quietest place I have ever experienced in my life.
We weren't out there for the trilobites (and well noted about the Horseshoe
crab), but you couldn't help tripping over them.

   I could say that about the horseshoe crabs at Point Pleasant, NJ.
   Is the geographical distribution wide on those?  Do you get them in
   California?  (Or are you not there anymore?)

   One specimen of a trilobite really stands out.  It's the one with
   a bite out of it, which evidently on the actual animal healed
   long before its death and fossilization.  Really very amazing.

If I see another Brachiopod I'll vomit.  I had to draw endless brachiopods,
spirifers, and bi-valves for my palentology class.

   Grapolites!  Gotta have your spiffy Silurian grapolites!  I
   always think of those folding brush-combs.

   best

   LFB