 Off-Topic / Debate / 9226
Re: The Fake Fossil (Was: Problems with Darwin's theory)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:08:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Taken in the right perspective, this faked fossil really bears no relevance
in the whole evolution / creationism debate.
Helps establish the link between dinosaurs and birds.  Evolution.

Um, it just throws a known fabrication into the debate.  I'm sure that it's
possible that it *could* benefit one side of the argument over the other,
but I fail to see how.

Fakes happen. Defaking stuff is fun, as Bruce alludes to. Investigating why
people do fakes is interesting.

   It tells one a lot about the scientific profession--and academia
   in general--when things like that happen.  Thanks to Jeremy for
   providing the cites; I read both the "original" and the followup
   in National Geographic. As in religion, vanity can play a role in
   science--I'm as convinced as ever that Thomas Kuhn was right
   (at least before the 1990s--he got really weird after that) and
   that objectivity is truly a chimera.

   I'll reiterate the cite I put in another section of this eternal
   debate (or has it only been going on for 10,000 years?  But I
   digress...) because it has relevance both for the "why" it was
   the sort of animal fake it was, and how it was possible that
   some otherwise circumspect academics were taken in.  That's
   Greg Paul's _Predatory Dinosaurs of the World_, where he advances
   (for the first time, as far as I'm aware, in the mainstream) that
   dromaeosaurs were likely feathered, secondarily-flightless
   offshoots of the same line that included archaeopterygians.
   Since that book (and others on dinosaur metabolism and morphology)
   appeared in the early '90s, the hot field of archosaur research
   has been what was called the coelurosauria and its complicated
   relationship with birds.  Therefore, a feathery dromaeosaur is
   a heck of a lot more interesting than a psittacosaur with lombego
   (but not more interesting than a hypsipholodont with a four-
   chambered heart, which *is* a genuine fossil, not a fake).

   As for the vanity, Paul takes that on by rethinking and reordering
   phylogenies--a lot of animals were given species names by vain
   scientists who wished to "make a discovery" and be the first to
   name and describe an exciting animal.  (You get less of this sort
   of showmanship among, say, palaeoichthyologists.)  So now that
   most of the early discoverers are dead, it was relatively easy
   to rethink and reposition for gender dimorphism, age, and the like
   and drastically reduce the number of genera known.  Paul's vanity,
   of course, is in being the one to perform this task and tell the
   wider world about it.  ;)

But the question is not whether a particular observation is faked. The
question, rather, is whether there the preponderance of evidence is faked.
It's not.

   See above.  The Archaeopteryx specimens from Solnhofen (Bavaria)
   were subjected to an insane number of tests to satisfy Creationists
   who believed they might be fake--down to electron microscopy and
   the matching of layered microfractures in the feather impressions.
   So it's not just that "scientists won't let anyone touch their
   specimens"--not when the most famous transitional fossils in the
   world have been subjected to a level of scrutiny nobody would want
   to face off against in a courtroom.

The literal creationists seize on the fakes because they think it bolsters
their case while ignoring the vast majority of the evidence which, while
perhaps less dramatic, isn't faked and which is overwhelming.

   What's quite funny is that a lot of the YECs still point to the
   Glen Rose, TX "dinosaur-and-human-footprints-together" fossil
   tracks, which were proven to be faked in 1931.  Sorry, Fred
   Flintstone, you appear to have missed your Bronto-Burgers by
   about 65 million years (actually, for genus Apatosaurus (aka
   Brontosaurus), by nearly twice that).

What really is *fake* in all this is the literal creationist pretense at
understanding the scientific process, pretense at wanting to actually
evaluate observations honestly, and pretense that literal creationism has
equivalent scientific validity with evolution while systematically mugging
the truth.

   Bingo.  The obvious seems to escape Scientific Creationists:
   Why do you need science at all?  I can say we were all created
   by a fuzzy pink rabbit five minutes ago with our memories intact,
   the appearance of great age in the Earth, and misleading belief
   systems to keep us from the bunny, and nobody can prove me wrong.
   All the rest is Rube Goldberg patchwork designed to produce
   legitimation from scientific authority, which the Creationist
   movement desperately wants.  The only reasons I've seen that YEC
   could need this are to (a) openly misrepresent its core nature and
   hoodwink the ill-informed into considering its basis (proselytizing)
   and (b) to buttress the believers' feeling that they already have
   all the answers and need no more by making Creationism look on
   the surface like it's a science.  That last is important and often
   overlooked by scientists, because they're not thinking about the
   view from inside a life of faith, but it explains a lot of the
   tenacity of the Young-Earth Creationist movement. (CRS/ICR, all
   of that.)

   I don't care that someone's a Creationist out of religious
   conviction and sheer faith; I do care when they justify it with
   bad science, and then try to teach that bad science to others
   under the guise of objectivity. Now where's my Junior Craniometry
   Kit gone?

That sort of fake "thinking" leads to travesties like the State of Oklahoma
textbook disclaimer:

http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/5438_dissecting_the_disclaimer_12_7_2000.asp

   Thanks for the link!  There's a lot of good resources there.
   I hadn't realised that Oklahoma had replicated the Alabama
   disclaimer.  When you're taking your science education leads
   from Alabama, shouldn't that be an indicator of the bias
   behind it?

Note that the literal creationists prefer that it be called scientific
creationism. I prefer to call it what it is, cause it ain't scientific.

   Special Creation has no explanatory value.  It has feet of
   clay.  Rather than changing to explain the evidence, it
   changes the evidence to explain itself--ignorant at best,
   malicious at worst.

Note that I have a lot less truck with IDCers than I do with the woolyheaded
and freedom denigrating bunch of literal creationists. By gosh, if I am
going to be forced to pay for public schools I am darn well going to insist
that we don't confuse kids by presenting religious beliefs as well founded
science in them.

   The "Evolution-Creation continuum" piece at the NCSE site is
   especially good, IMHO.  I knew about all of those groups, but
   I'd never seen them arrayed on a line like that--definitely one
   to print out and hang onto.  "So you're a Creationist?  What
   kind?" :)

   best

   Lindsay