 Off-Topic / Debate / 9218
Re: Problems with Darwin's theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:14:15 GMT

A fascinating discussion, from the POV of one who believes in both evolution
and creationism.  It's also a bit amusing to find that so many on both sides
apparently (1) reject the notion that it's a little bit of both.

But anyway, concerning the fake fossil that was published in National
Geographic:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
All the various evolutionist who were fawning
all over it aren't scientists?  You don't admit that it's a fake?
You don't admit beating your wife, is the example I believe you just gave
Larry.  I have not seen any evidence it is fake.  Perhaps it (they,
actually, since it was more than one) is a fake.

Motivation.  Remember the motivation behind the fake.  The fossil in
question was most likely faked to increase its black-market sale value, and
not with a goal of slyly filling in evolutionary blanks.  The museum
curators who ultimately published their erroneous findings on the fossil
were also motivated by sales -- ticket sales for their BFE
middle-of-no-freakin-where museum.  Once the findings were published and the
fossil was placed under scientific scrutiny, it didn't take long before it
was revealed to be the glue job that it was.

Taken in the right perspective, this faked fossil really bears no relevance
in the whole evolution / creationism debate.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  I say "apparently" since, for the purposes of debate anyway, folks tend
to gravitate past their center towards the extreme...but this is just fodder
for a completely different debate. :-,