 Off-Topic / Debate / 9219
Re: Keeping Our Schools Safe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:28:49 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/01/31/chicken.finger.gun.ap/index.html

Oh man.....this just makes my blood run cold.  Let's just forget about
how incredibly undeniably ludicrous it is to punish someone for
pretending poultry is a gun, let's focus on the scary comment in the
last paragraph:

"Sullivan said punishment for a threat "depends on the tone, the
demeanor, and in some manner you judge the intent. It's not the object
in the hand, it's the thought in the mind. Is a plastic fork worse than
a metal fork? Is a pencil a weapon?"

This is far worse in my mind than anything else described in this
article...I can't believe that this guy said that!  If the kid had have
said "Oh Baloney!" would he have been punished because the teacher
*assumed* what he was REALLY thinking was "Oh Bullsh*t!"?  (That's
assuming you're still not allowed to swear in school - I certainly
wasn't at the age of 8 but if it's like everything else they've probably
slacked up in this manner)

They have the audacity to assume that the kid was "thinking" about the
piece of chicken as if it were a gun, therefore he must be punished.
Wait a second, is this a hoax or something....no.....it IS on CNN.com
and it isn't April 1st...

Oh my goodness this makes me sick beyond belief.  If I was that kid I
really would have caused some damage with that piece of chicken because
it would be so far up that principal's a$* he would be rendered unable
to sit.

--
-TiM
NB, CA