 Off-Topic / Debate / 9237
Re: Keeping Our Schools Safe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:14:17 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/01/31/chicken.finger.gun.ap/index.html

The general concensus seems to be that suspending the boy is overkill.

Would it be at all different if the 'victim' was peer?  Would it be at all
different if the aggressor were also saying "I'm going to shoot you with a gun"
or something?  Would it matter if the victim were traumatized by the event?
Would it matter if the aggressor either was or was not displaying remorse?

Imagine a first grader telling two of his classmates that he was going to cut
their heads off with a pocket knife.  What is the appropriate response of the
school?

Curiously,

Chris