 Off-Topic / Debate / 9225
Re: The Fake Fossil (Was: Problems with Darwin's theory)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:45:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Taken in the right perspective, this faked fossil really bears no relevance
in the whole evolution / creationism debate.
Helps establish the link between dinosaurs and birds.  Evolution.

Um, it just throws a known fabrication into the debate.  I'm sure that it's
possible that it *could* benefit one side of the argument over the other,
but I fail to see how.

Fakes happen. Defaking stuff is fun, as Bruce alludes to. Investigating why
people do fakes is interesting.

Kinda throws things into confusion, but it also reminds everyone to be wary.

But the question is not whether a particular observation is faked. The
question, rather, is whether there the preponderance of evidence is faked.
It's not.

The literal creationists seize on the fakes because they think it bolsters
their case while ignoring the vast majority of the evidence which, while
perhaps less dramatic, isn't faked and which is overwhelming.

Pretty much.  If they want to seize on the small number of fakes, they'll
have to answer to the large number of fake faith healers as a disproof of
God.  I don't accept either fakes as any kind of proof, myself, beyond
something to look out for.

What really is *fake* in all this is the literal creationist pretense at
understanding the scientific process, pretense at wanting to actually
evaluate observations honestly, and pretense that literal creationism has
equivalent scientific validity with evolution while systematically mugging
the truth.

As I said, I don't see how lying serves God.

That sort of fake "thinking" leads to travesties like the State of Oklahoma
textbook disclaimer:

http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/5438_dissecting_the_disclaimer_12_7_2000.asp

Note that the literal creationists prefer that it be called scientific
creationism. I prefer to call it what it is, cause it ain't scientific.

Note that I have a lot less truck with IDCers than I do with the woolyheaded
and freedom denigrating bunch of literal creationists. By gosh, if I am
going to be forced to pay for public schools I am darn well going to insist
that we don't confuse kids by presenting religious beliefs as well founded
science in them.

++Lar

Score one for the Libertarian viewpoint (on the theoritical level, at least).

Bruce