 Off-Topic / Debate / 9174
Re: Problems with Darwin's theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:10:37 GMT

Snippety Snip.
ditto

But I'd be much more interested in your response to my question... why
bother with this scientific creationist nonsense? Why do you creationists
have this inexplicable need to try to prove a myth real in the face of
overwhelming countervailing evidence?

Democracy, individual human rights and the concept of "property" are all
myths too, and myths with much shorter history in human culture than the
idea of a divine creator. They're also less rational than belief in God. If
we accept a literal understanding of the Bible as axiomatic, then
creationism makes sense as an undertaking.

The part I don't get is why a literal reading of the Bible and clearly
subjective[1] reading of the universe is preferable to a contextual
interpretation of religion and the simplest, most complete, understanding of
the world. Given that the divine is revealed in both words and nature, why
choose fallible human communication to the indefinitely refinable process of
science.

--DaveL

[1] Since it depends on a personal belief in God.