 Off-Topic / Debate / 9265
Re: Problems with Darwin's theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:17:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
I promised I wouldn't re-enter this debate but...

And something else here-- there really are very very very very few fossils
that we've found compared with the number of living beings on Earth in the
last billion years or so. I'd consider us EXTREMELY lucky to get one sample
of every species, let alone any of the so-deemed 'transition' fossils.

I find it interesting that you do in fact find it extremely lucky.  I
also find it EXTREMELY convenient that vast majority of these
(supposedly) few fossils just happen to be of non-extinct animals living
today compared with (your belief of) the millions of other living beings
that have lived on the earth for the past billion years or so --- namely
those mysterious transition fossils.

   Um, well, let's see--the majority may be of animals of a similar
   *type* (e.g., "teleost fish" or "reptiles") but very, very few
   are of the same species (or even genus).  The most common living
   fossils cited are the coelecanth (genus Latimera), which IIRC
   has no fossil representatives, as it's cartilaginous; subclass
   (or is it class now?) Chondrichthyes--aka sharks--whose living
   genii are unknown before the Miocene, roughly 20 MYA; or the
   cockroach, which is a generic name applied to an incredible
   number of species.  So animals of similar family or plan can
   occupy a niche for hundreds of millions of years, so what?  They
   can still show adeptness for radiation into new niches and
   sometimes--like trilobites, crinoids, placoderms, and sauropods--
   even successful animals sometimes meet their demise.

   (As a postscript to the trilobite story:  The Horseshoe Crab
   is still alive, well, and ugly along the eastern coast of the
   USA--and the last survivor of the ammonite family, the chambered
   nautilus, is still jetting around the Pacific.)

   So similar isn't the same.  Find me a species and genus--a single
   one--that is 200 million years old by fossil-date reckoning, much
   less a majority of species known.  Good luck!

Mount Cadiz, southern California.  An exposed abuttement of Cambrian and
Precambrian rock.  Zillions of Trilobites.  Hip deep in them.  Zillions may
be an underestimate.

   Oh cool!  I've wondered where that was.  I've seen pictures of the
   exposed strata--have you been lucky enough to be there in person?
   I want to go to California...dumb luck being born in a part of the
   US that got shaven down to the Devonian by those dagnab glaciers.
   And, for some reason, we don't have many trilobites.

   On the other hand, I have lots of cool brachiopods (another critter
   that's no longer with us, and common as dirt in the Palaeozoic seas).

   best

   Lindsay