 Off-Topic / Debate / 9266
Re: Support for a 'young' earth.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:18:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:

  Of course not, much as without the Bible and the calculations of
  the venerable Archbishop Ussher in the 18th century, Young Earth
  Creationism also doesn't have a leg to stand on.  (It's probably
  the only science I know that openly relies upon such old ideas
  for a young Earth. It's rather ironic, really.)

1650 for Bishop Ussher (and some further expansion in 1654).  17th century.

Despite claims that all evidence points to a multi-billion year old
earth and that a 6000 year old one is impossible, that simply isn't
true.  There is evidence to support a young earth that interestingly
enough "fits" perfectly with the creation record.  Below are three
examples:

  Just because something fits timewise doesn't make it so.

Slowing Earth Rotation:

The speed of the earth's rotation is slowing down.  Approx every 1-1/2
years another second is added to "the clock" in order to match calendar
time.

  This is wrong, wrong, wrong.  This addition doesn't have to do
  with the slowing of the Earth; it has to do with the way humans
  measure time.  The solar year does not divide evenly into the
  units of time we recognise.  Our calendar has been tweaked and
  tweaked (remember adding almost two weeks a few hundred years
  back?), and now, with the leap-year system and judicious addition
  of a second here and there, we've ensured that the same months
  coincide with winter each year, summer each year, etc., etc.

  So this isn't evidence of the Earth's slowing, it's evidence
  of mankind's inability to measure it accurately until the very
  recent past.  Creationists like to pretend that human measures
  are perfect enough to reflect accurately what's seen.  They're
  not; they are only representations designed for human enterprise
  and convenience in understanding a universe of infinite complexity.

The earth is slowing.  Tidal forces are doing it, similiar to what the earth
has already done to the moon, just a lot weaker.  If one considers the 8
hour workday, we will get more time off in the future!  ;-)

Bruce