 Off-Topic / Debate / 9262
Re: Support for a 'young' earth.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:29:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
....that I wouldn't re-enter the creation/evolution debate but I've
changed my mind.  Oh well.

   I'll point to the talk.origins clearinghouse site, which
   is one of the best catch-all refutations of the Creationist
   argument (and exploration of misconceptions about Evolution
   that cause otherwise intelligent people to subscribe to Creation
   Science) that I've seen:

   http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-qa.html

   [It's the FAQ, but embedded within it are the links to the
    evidentiary material.]

An Evolutionist believes that all life originated from a common ancestor
and evolved over a very large amount of time (at least several billion
years from what I understand).

   The latter is true.  The former is still a matter of contention,
   something that's under investigation by geneticists around the
   world.  However, the truth or falsity of evolution isn't dependent
   on whether there was one abiogenetic particle or two that contributed
   to life on Earth.

Without a very old earth Evolution doesn't have a leg to stand on.

   Of course not, much as without the Bible and the calculations of
   the venerable Archbishop Ussher in the 18th century, Young Earth
   Creationism also doesn't have a leg to stand on.  (It's probably
   the only science I know that openly relies upon such old ideas
   for a young Earth. It's rather ironic, really.)

Despite claims that all evidence points to a multi-billion year old
earth and that a 6000 year old one is impossible, that simply isn't
true.  There is evidence to support a young earth that interestingly
enough "fits" perfectly with the creation record.  Below are three
examples:

   Just because something fits timewise doesn't make it so.

Slowing Earth Rotation:

The speed of the earth's rotation is slowing down.  Approx every 1-1/2
years another second is added to "the clock" in order to match calendar
time.

   This is wrong, wrong, wrong.  This addition doesn't have to do
   with the slowing of the Earth; it has to do with the way humans
   measure time.  The solar year does not divide evenly into the
   units of time we recognise.  Our calendar has been tweaked and
   tweaked (remember adding almost two weeks a few hundred years
   back?), and now, with the leap-year system and judicious addition
   of a second here and there, we've ensured that the same months
   coincide with winter each year, summer each year, etc., etc.

   So this isn't evidence of the Earth's slowing, it's evidence
   of mankind's inability to measure it accurately until the very
   recent past.  Creationists like to pretend that human measures
   are perfect enough to reflect accurately what's seen.  They're
   not; they are only representations designed for human enterprise
   and convenience in understanding a universe of infinite complexity.

If the earth is only ~6000 years old, there is no problem.....it
means the earth is traveling only a fraction slower than it was
originally.  If the earth is billions of years old, imagine how fast it
would have been originally spinning!  We're talking night and day within
minutes of each other.

   You're also forgetting a very important thing called angular momentum.
   This can change over time; for an example, if you take a beach
   ball, set it spinning, and hit it at an angle with a small, high-
   speed object, you change its speed.  There have likely been extensive
   variances of the Earth's speed over time; and as another person has
   pointed out, the speed of the planet has varied considerably (and
   there is evidence of this).

   However, the processes that control angular momentum in planets are
   not fully understood, in part because the earth's mantle and core
   may be involved in acceleration and deceleration of the planet's
   spin.  This would most likely be tied to the shift in magnetic poles
   and "precession" of the poles over the period (23,000 years, IIRC)
   of the planet's "wobble."  The earth is doing many other things
   besides merely spinning.

   Thus, the Creationist argument takes a single quantification and
   projects it unreasonably and undefendably into the past to create
   an image at odds with what we know today, and therefore "impossible."
   The Terran system is not yet fully 'solved,' but it's definitely
   not evidence of YEC.

The moon is slowly drifting away from the earth on each rotation (very
slowly).  Again, in a young 6000 year old earth, this really has no
effect as the drift is minute over such a small amount of time.  If the
earth, however, is billions of years old the drift problem becomes very
important as we have to assume that the moon was once much closer.  On a
multi-billion year old earth, the tides would have been incredibly
immense, drowning the entire earth twice a day.

   Ah, the "speedy moon" argument of yore.  Long-refuted.  See:

   http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/moonrec.html

   (Fair warning:  it's technical, but authoritative, with plenty
   of evidence and citations against YEC--as well as the most
   authoritative and technical of the Creationist presentations
   of the case.  Get a cup o' Joe and some popcorn if you want
   to read it closely.)

   In a nutshell, this YEC argument is similar to the previous one:
   "The moon is now moving at x rate in z direction, therefore if
   we extrapolate back in a linear manner, we get the moon too
   close in year zero." This argument completely ignores the
   nature of tidal relationships, long-period gravitational
   oscillation, and the true dynamism of the Earth-Moon double
   planet system (that's really what it is).  "Speedy Moon" totally
   ignores all other evidence in favour of an oversimplification
   based on Newtonian theory, without fully understanding how the
   system works.  It's an attempt at linear absurdity, which
   ignores all the corroborating evidence in the hopes that a
   single piece of anti-logic will overwhelm it with "common sense."

   The great thing is that mainstream science noticed the moon
   issue long ago and solved it, refining theory in the process.
   But like the dust influx numbers from 1951, it's been dredged
   up to service the Creationist cause again.  Young Earth, old
   figures...again, irony.

Oldest tree:

Although a relatively weak case for specific evidence I admit, I chose
this one for its simplicity and for its incredibly close fit with
Biblical evidence.  The oldest tree in the world is about 4300 years
old.  It's interesting that according to the Bible the oldest possible
tree should be less than 4400 years old (because of the Noachian
flood).  If the earth is billions of years old, why don't we have an
older tree?

   Because we don't, much as we don't have any 5,000-year-old
   turtles, or fruitflies, et cetera.

   You're right, that *is* a weak case.  It's anti-logic, basically.
   FYI: the oldest known tree in the world (and I do stress known--
   how many trees do you think they've sampled for this quality?)
   is 4,767 years old--a fair bit older than the 4400 you mention as
   a cutoff--and that tree is nearly a thousand years (or more!)
   older than any other yet found on the planet.  So, far from
   being a massive cutoff, it's a singular oddity itself.  The
   breed of tree as a whole is far older than most anything else,
   so it's also a genetic predisposition:

   http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/intro.html

   (See especially the "survival strategies" section--it's really
   very interesting!)

   What's interesting is that the genetics of this tree provide
   a specific refutation to Creationist ideas about genetic drift,
   namely that the genetic variance of "kinds" could have been
   encoded into the genes of forbears to "unpack" over time.
   The Bristlecone was already an old species 5,000 years ago--
   conifers are, in fact, hundreds of millions of years old as a
   family.  The pines have no extra genes, no extra sequences, and
   show a fully modern range of genetic variance one would expect
   to find in plants.  Another strike against Young Earth Creationism
   of the Christian kind. (Soon to be a film by Steven Spielberg...)

   Anyways, that's a short series of responses with some links
   and some light shed on why these Creationist chestnuts exist
   at all.  In my experience, Creationism is the appeal of the
   simple over the complex--again, ironic, because the movement
   extols the complexity of God's creation, while attempting to use
   extremely simple, linear evidence to support its literalist
   reading of Scripture.  Science, on the other hand, says nothing
   about God or the soul, but seeks to understand the complexity
   that surrounds us and, as such, fosters a deeper appreciation
   of the true nature of Creation.

   all best,

   LFB.