 Off-Topic / Debate / 9252
Re: Support for a 'young' earth.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 03:43:17 GMT

You know what I always wondered Tim?  Have you ever seen the chromosome
numbers on the DNA of different species?  There is no (apparent)
relationship of chromosome numbers to the complexity of make up of animals.
That means that through evolution, those numbers changed millions of times.
Yet, with just one missing or additional chromosome in a human being,
children have birth defects.  (Some pretty major)

I always wondered about those fish evolving legs.  Is there a place between
fin and leg where you're not good at swimming and you're worse at walking?
Doesn't a fin become a bad fin long before it becomes a good leg?  If so,
how did those mutant critters survive?  And how many evolutional oopses did
it take before it happened?

And regarding the destruction of the dinosaurs and the rising of the
mammals.  We were told in school that it was probably a big ole meteor(ite?)
that did it.  And the itsy bitsy mammals survived and the terrible lizards
died because of all that dust.  But weren't there some itsy bitsy dinosaurs
that were smaller than some of the big ole mammals?  I still don't get it
why little mammals could breathe that yucky air and feel pretty good about
it.  I bet they stayed in their non-dusty holes.  Do mammals have better
lungs than reptiles?  They must, since they have smaller lung capacity.

I always thought that if we're all here by a series of accidents and we vary
from the amoeba only in the complexity of our makeup, than the most
righteous person would be the person who kills the most people, since even
the most environmentally conscious American (besides maybe the amish) has
done more to destroy natural habitats than any other species just by driving
cars and chewing gum (since you can't recycle the foil from gum wrappers)

Or maybe the highest form of morality is the person who can control
everything and everyone around them and live the longest and be the most
comfortable, since survival of the fittest is the powerful force that has
shaped us all.   There would have to be a blatant disregard for the
environment as long as it didn't interfere with me or mine.

I must confess that despite lots of big words that scientists can use and
lots of important names that smart people can name, I still think Planet of
the Apes was a pretty unrealistic movie.

Junk science.

Markus

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
....that I wouldn't re-enter the creation/evolution debate but I've
changed my mind.  Oh well.

(For reference sake and to clarify some definitions):

I believe that God created everything about 6000 years ago (possibly as
much as 10) and that about 4400 years ago there was a great flood (known
as "Noah's Flood") that essentially destroyed the earth.  This is
generally what is thought of as the "Creationist" theory.  This does not
mean that the creationist doesn't believe in adaptation within some
species, such as the possibility that salt water fish were once all
freshwater fish and some "adapted" to living in salt water.  What it
does mean is that the creationist believes no relation between humans
and monkeys, not to mention humans and daffodils.

An Evolutionist believes that all life originated from a common ancestor
and evolved over a very large amount of time (at least several billion
years from what I understand).  Without a very old earth Evolution
doesn't have a leg to stand on.

(Now on to the point):

Despite claims that all evidence points to a multi-billion year old
earth and that a 6000 year old one is impossible, that simply isn't
true.  There is evidence to support a young earth that interestingly
enough "fits" perfectly with the creation record.  Below are three
examples:

Slowing Earth Rotation:

The speed of the earth's rotation is slowing down.  Approx every 1-1/2
years another second is added to "the clock" in order to match calendar
time.  If the earth is only ~6000 years old, there is no problem.....it
means the earth is traveling only a fraction slower than it was
originally.  If the earth is billions of years old, imagine how fast it
would have been originally spinning!  We're talking night and day within
minutes of each other.

Moon drift:

The moon is slowly drifting away from the earth on each rotation (very
slowly).  Again, in a young 6000 year old earth, this really has no
effect as the drift is minute over such a small amount of time.  If the
earth, however, is billions of years old the drift problem becomes very
important as we have to assume that the moon was once much closer.  On a
multi-billion year old earth, the tides would have been incredibly
immense, drowning the entire earth twice a day.

Oldest tree:

Although a relatively weak case for specific evidence I admit, I chose
this one for its simplicity and for its incredibly close fit with
Biblical evidence.  The oldest tree in the world is about 4300 years
old.  It's interesting that according to the Bible the oldest possible
tree should be less than 4400 years old (because of the Noachian
flood).  If the earth is billions of years old, why don't we have an
older tree?

Anyone want to continue this endless debate :)?