 Off-Topic / Debate / 9260
Re: Support for a 'young' earth.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:39:48 GMT

Slowing Earth Rotation:

The speed of the earth's rotation is slowing down.  Approx every 1-1/2
years another second is added to "the clock" in order to match calendar
time.  If the earth is only ~6000 years old, there is no problem.....it
means the earth is traveling only a fraction slower than it was
originally.  If the earth is billions of years old, imagine how fast it
would have been originally spinning!  We're talking night and day within
minutes of each other.

Ooh, can I handle this? We just covered this in my astronomy class I am
pretty psyched about the whole concept.

Yes, you are right, the earth is slowing down. Furthermore, you are also
right that in the very small amount of time that humans have been present on
the planet, the rotational period has not in fact varied that much. And yes,
with an earth aged billions of years, the rate would have been much faster
earlier in the "life" of the earth. And what's really great is that there is
evidence for this!

You see, there is a type of coral that has a cyclical growth pattern.
Specifically, every day it adds another layer to itself. However, longer
days allow for thicker layers. When particularly old samples were dissected,
the history of the day length could be traced all the way back to a time
when the length of a day was a mere 6 hours long.

Unfortuantely, I don't have any links to web resourses regarding this, only
what I took away from the lecture. However if someone finds some further
reading I for one would be quite interested in it.