 Off-Topic / Debate / 27395
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:03:15 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

   this post>. I wanted to see if I could render the ‘theme’ in a less offensive, more comical way, with a more accomplished model. The aim is not to stir up controversy, but to see if the space nazis can be done without stirring it up.

Dude. Nazism and Nazi symbols are offensive to Germans. Period.

What about the Jewish community? One might think they’d be offended, too. But points for looking out for people’s feelings. Let’s see, who else could be offended? I imagine Asians might be offended, because it reminds them of how the symbol was stolen from them.

   What is so hard to understand about that? Your little science project is doomed from the beginning. I mean, shesh-- imagery like that is illegal in a Democratic State, for crying out loud. What’s funny about that?

See, it’s meta-bigotry. It’s funny because it’s so ridiculously over-the-top. And the ridiculousness is what you laugh at. If not, then it really is bigotry.

<snip>

Well it’s not a new idea to make a joke out of nazism. Mel Brooks

He’s a Jew. Different issues there.

What are your issues there?

   and Hogan’s Heroes spring to mind.

That show is about forty years old.

And that was before we invented “Political Correctness”, or...?

   I personally don’t think any subject should be out of bounds for humour, but it depends a lot on the execution. I’m hoping I carried it off well enough, but that’s ultimately up to the audience.

Not for any German audience I suspect. Just as only blacks can call each other the N-word, and Jews have “permission” to joke about Jews, I would guess that only a German would have any hope of making light of that subject, and certainly not an outsider from Aussie.

Again with zee Germans. Frankly, if I were to look out for someone’s feelings, it’d be the someone who doesn’t have grandparents because of what that symbol represents, rather than someone who’s simply embarrassed by their grandparents. Do you have any examples of Germans making Nazi jokes? Off the top of my head, I can think of a few non-Germans who are able to make light of the Holocaust and Nazis. Mel Brooks (well, that was cheating, he was already mentioned!), Sarah Silverman (Jewish American), and Eddie Izzard (British transvestite). Certainly an Australian can horn in on this game!

I categorically can’t find it funny because I know that it offends Germans.

Well, it’s not like you’re a stranger to offending people. And I for one thought you were pretty funny in that thread.

   Hey, just for kicks-- go post your MOC on 1000Steine and see what happens. If that idea gives you pause, then maybe there are some deeper issues to which you are oblivious and should have addressed before you embarked on your build.

JOHN

Hey, just for kicks-- let’s put all the Germans in ovens so there aren’t any left to be offended by this MOC. (See? Meta!)