 Off-Topic / Debate / 27424
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 22:27:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

   That’s it right there. All I am saying is that I wish when Allister came up with his idea, he decided not to build it as to err on the side of good taste. But he chose to build it, it sparked controversy as he must have known it would, and here we are.

Controversy? You’re the only one making a fuss here, John.

You: “My interest has less to do with nazism itself than the reaction displaying it’s symbols still generates even today” That sounds provocative, even if you aren’t trying to be.

   And let me state right here-- germane to this discussion is the fact that LEGO is a child’s toy. I think we have an extra responsibility to create wholesome MOCs that are intended to be displayed to the GP. That may sound prissy, but that is what I believe, and that is what I advocate, and that is what I do.

Very prissy. Maybe even prudish. How about patronising? But hey, it’s your life.

Patronizing? To whom? Children who might read this public forum? Well, yes, then.

   Yes, lego is a child’s toy. But, I am not a child, and neither are you, which makes it also an adult’s toy. It’s even considered an ‘artistic medium’ by some. If you think it’s only for children, you should sell your collection right now and get on with pursuits more suitable for your age group. Fishing perhaps? Maybe Canasta.

If you don’t like that I build things that I as an adult like, and show them here amongst my peer group, then too bad. Maybe you’d be happier on the lego.com forum or wherever it is child lego fans congregate.

You know, if this were ONLY an adult forum, I would have fewer problems with the content of what gets posted here. Look at JLUG. That’s an adult board, and one needs to be an adult to enter the adult area. That’s a great thing. I like the idea of adults showing their adult-themed MOCs amongst their peers. The problem is that LUGNET isn’t merely an adult forum. It is open to anyone to see and read. So in public, I believe we as AFOLs have a responsibility to be ambassadors for the LEGO hobby.

JOHN