 Off-Topic / Debate / 27397
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:22:12 GMT

Hello!

Dude.  Nazism and Nazi symbols [are offensive] to Germans.  Period.

You are right. Many Germans are offended by this topis. Either because they
think it's inappropriate to make fun about, or because they constantly assume
they are supposed to feel guilty. I'm not offended, though, I'm just curious.

I mean, shesh-- imagery like that is {illegal} in a
{Democratic State}, for crying out loud.

Indeed it is. It's considered "anticonstitutional", since the Nazi system wasn't
exactly democratic. And contemporary Neo-Nazis plan or at least would like to
destroy the democratic order. Well, they won't achieve their aim. At the last
elections in September they didn't even get enough votes to get mentioned.

and Hogan's
Heroes spring to mind.
{That} show is about [forty years old].

That show deals with prisoners of war rather than with concentration camps.
Different league, actually. In a story of POWs the opponents are exchangable.
POW camps are not exclusive to Nazis.

Not for any German audience I suspect.  Just as only blacks can call each
other the N-word, and Jews have "permission" to joke about Jews, I would
guess that only a German would have any hope of making light of that subject,
and certainly not an outsider from Aussie.

Ouuuuh. It's close to impossible for a German to make politically correct jokes
on naziism :-)
However, when I see the usual "Achtung!" and "Heil!" jokes from foreign shows
I'm offended not by the Nazi topic but by the stupidness of these cheap jokes.
Those jokes don't even scratch at the edges of what "Nazi" really meant but are
just silly stereotypes that don't offend their _audition_. Making jokes about a
(former) war opponent works well in every country, but making jokes on
anti-Semitism wouldn't work as well, I guess. Actually the exclusive right to
make jokes that deal with Anti-Semitism have the Jews. There are some quite
funny Yiddish jokes on that topic - from the perspective of a Jew.
In contrast I was not at all offended but rather delighted by Charlie Chaplin's
Great Dictator.

Bye
Jojo