 Off-Topic / Debate / 27427
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:34:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --SNIP--

Dude. Nazism and Nazi symbols are offensive to Germans. Period. What is so hard to understand about that? Your little science project is doomed from the beginning. I mean, shesh-- imagery like that is illegal in a Democratic State, for crying out loud. What’s funny about that?

I disagree with that Period you’ve got there. The recent film The Downfall seemed to be fairly well received http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3675318.stm

That brings to my mind another discussion that I would love to have in this forum. It involves the penchant Liberals have for trying to understand evil. It is a very dangerous and foolish notion, as exemplified by this movie (I assume, as I read the intro to the article: “A movie which depicts Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler’s softer side has topped the German box office.”) I haven’t the time to fully lay out my case, but it is an issue I’d love explore with those with whom I probably will disagree.

   Well it’s not a new idea to make a joke out of nazism. Mel Brooks

He’s a Jew. Different issues there.

He didn’t experience the Nazis as far as I know

Melvin Kaminsky served in North Africa during WW2 with the US Army according to Wik.

   so I disagree that his racial background justifies his right to make them. Although I agree he does have a right to make them, much as Al does.

   and Hogan’s Heroes spring to mind.

That show is about forty years old.

It is still shown today and was remade into a movie recently so that argument isn’t entirely valid.

   I personally don’t think any subject should be out of bounds for humour, but it depends a lot on the execution. I’m hoping I carried it off well enough, but that’s ultimately up to the audience.

Not for any German audience I suspect. Just as only blacks can call each other the N-word, and Jews have “permission” to joke about Jews, I would guess that only a German would have any hope of making light of that subject, and certainly not an outsider from Aussie.

Would an outsider from USian be any better ;)

You’re right, but I’m not making swastika spaceships, either!

   The perspective argument has merit but I can’t consider it a reason not to make those jokes. This work is obviously satirical and the use of the much maligned Jack Stone figures brings an interesting perspective on it since they have a similar role in AFOLdom to what Jews had in most of the world at the time of Nazism.

   I categorically can’t find it funny because I know that it offends Germans. Hey, just for kicks-- go post your MOC on 1000Steine and see what happens. If that idea gives you pause, then maybe there are some deeper issues to which you are oblivious and should have addressed before you embarked on your build.

JOHN

Not posting it to 1000Steine is respecting the (probable) views of the majority of its audience. Lugnet has a more diverse readership and this balance is why it is acceptable to post imagery and satire like Al’s or Richie’s here. It has nothing to do with oblivion or lack thereof.

Just some thoughts,

Yeah, but Tim, the LUGNET audience also includes minors. I see absolutely no difference in not posting in 1000Steine out of respect for Germans, and not posting to LUGNET out of respect for Germans. And that is my whole point in a nutshell.

JOHN