 Off-Topic / Debate / 27404
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:11:05 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

   I personally don’t think any subject should be out of bounds for humour, but it depends a lot on the execution. I’m hoping I carried it off well enough, but that’s ultimately up to the audience.

Not for any German audience I suspect. Just as only blacks can call each other the N-word, and Jews have “permission” to joke about Jews, I would guess that only a German would have any hope of making light of that subject,

It’s not as clear-cut as that. I agree that humour can and should push the boundaries of taste and I’m deeply concerned when people imply that humour can be derived from certain subjects only by certain groups. We laugh often because we are shocked. Those who don’t laugh should simply defend to the death the rights of others to laugh...I think that’s democracy but these days who can tell?

Being offended on behalf of others isn’t just political correctness, it’s crass arrogance and leads to all sorts of kneejerk reactions.

As an aside, I am a white Englishman with a cheerfully mongrel background involving one Jew, some Eastern Europeans but mainly Scots. However no-one has practiced Judaism in my immediate family for four generations...Does this mean I’m allowed to laugh or not? (As it happens I did, heartily!)

My fiance is black and we engage in quite brutal banter and verbal role-play in which we try and out-offend each with jibes about slavery, empire road-crossing abilities and dancing. Neither of us have got upset so far.

I also use the n-word but only among friends...some of whom (I hate saying this, I sound so PC) are in fact, black.

   and certainly not an outsider from Aussie.

Well that’s a very inclusive attitude...and I may be wrong but I believe the colloquial term for God’s own country is ‘Oz’

I categorically can’t find it funny because I know that it offends Germans.

So what you’re saying is, you can’t laugh at anything that offends anyone?

I bet you’re the life of the party.