 Off-Topic / Debate / 27406
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:37:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Heckel wrote:

   But points for looking out for people’s feelings. Let’s see, who else could be offended? I imagine Asians might be offended, because it reminds them of how the symbol was stolen from them.

<shrug> There is nothing new under the sun. Are we sure that “they” invented it, or did “they” “steal” it from some previous source?

Tel me John, did you perceive this post as mocking? Just asking, because it’s a similar situation - lar condemning my post because he thought I was mocking you.

The net’s a funny thing. Sometimes it hard to tell one way or the other. “Fuss” in American English can carry a negative connotation. I’ll bet if you had chosen a different word, Lar might have taken it differently. But you did include a “winky”, so I would say it’s open for interpretation. Personally, I didn’t take your post as an insult.

   My point is, I don’t see any point in a third person weighing in on a situation like that - if someone takes offense at such a remark, surely it is up to them to say so, rather than others doing it for them?

I think weighing in is fine, but taking offense on behalf of someone is sketchy (which I never said that I personally did). I did feel obligated to speak up on behalf of my German AFOL friends-- I just wanted them to know that I don’t find such material funny in the least.

   Jojo made his feelings plain about the MOC, and I assume many people fell similarly about it, but I’d also be surprised if there aren’t ANY germans that find it funny.

I’m glad Jo-Jo spoke up and I hope other Germans see that there are some (hopefully a lot of) people who don’t approve of such humor. It is out of respect for them.

Again with zee Germans. Frankly, if I were to look out for someone’s feelings, it’d be the someone who doesn’t have grandparents because of what that symbol represents, rather than someone who’s simply embarrassed by their grandparents. Do you have any examples of Germans making Nazi jokes?

Not in the slightest. And judging from Jo-Jo’s remarks elsewhere, there doesn’t seem to be many if any at all.

Jojo is one german. You and he can go on making sweeping statements about “all germans” but that doesn’t make them correct. There continue to be stories of German neo-nazi groups - do they also believe “never again”? It’s just as absurd to believe no germans would find this MOC funny.

So you are saying one should create something that one suspects 1 in 10,000 will find funny, and 9,999 find offensive? And recall what Jo-Jo said about the Neo-Fascist Party in German-- it’s popularity is waning (Good Thing™)

   It’s like laughing at someone’s misery: what kind of jerk finds that funny? Well, a jerk who is a jerk.

Making the assumption that Bill Swanberg is feeling pretty miserable right now, I don’t see anyone berating the people making jokes about him - here or elsewhere.

I didn’t approve of that either, but it’s a little harder to stand up and defend someone who did something as contemptible as he did. One choses one’s battles...

   Well, it’s not like you’re a stranger to offending people. And I for one thought you were pretty funny in that thread.

You thought I was being offensive? How?

I think Kevin was referring to some of the replies, which seemed to take offense. But I could be wrong.

Ah. I didn’t read through the whole thread, so I wasn’t clear to what exactly he was referring.

JOHN