 Off-Topic / Debate / 27411
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:26:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

   this post>. I wanted to see if I could render the ‘theme’ in a less offensive, more comical way, with a more accomplished model. The aim is not to stir up controversy, but to see if the space nazis can be done without stirring it up.

Dude. Nazism and Nazi symbols are offensive to Germans. Period. What is so hard to understand about that? Your little science project is doomed from the beginning. I mean, shesh-- imagery like that is illegal in a Democratic State, for crying out loud. What’s funny about that?

Menstruating women may find the use of ‘Period’ in a one word sentence offensive.

Whatever happened to the ‘German Democratic Republic’ ?

   <snip>

Well it’s not a new idea to make a joke out of nazism. Mel Brooks

He’s a Jew. Different issues there.

   and Hogan’s Heroes spring to mind.

That show is about forty years old.

Available on cable/satellite channel TV1 at 3pm this arvo (in Australia).

   I personally don’t think any subject should be out of bounds for humour, but it depends a lot on the execution. I’m hoping I carried it off well enough, but that’s ultimately up to the audience.

Not for any German audience I suspect. Just as only blacks can call each other the N-word, and Jews have “permission” to joke about Jews, I would guess that only a German would have any hope of making light of that subject, and certainly not an outsider from Aussie.

Israel seems to have ‘permission’ to occupy part of Palestine.

Plenty of ‘outsider’ Australians died in both World Wars in Europe, North Africa and South East Asia.

Some Australians may find the use of ‘aussie’ patronising in this context.

   I categorically can’t find it funny because I know that it offends Germans. Hey, just for kicks-- go post your MOC on 1000Steine and see what happens. If that idea gives you pause, then maybe there are some deeper issues to which you are oblivious and should have addressed before you embarked on your build.

JOHN

Gospel according to ‘bold’ John.

pete.w