 Off-Topic / Debate / 27449
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:02:06 GMT

JoJo wrote:
As for the original topic of this thread: I just wanted to know what makes
"Nazi" fascinating for you.

I am from the United States of America, and I must admit that there are many
things that fascinate me about the rise to power of Hitler and the Nazi party.
The questions I hear most people say include, "How could a whole country allow
such an evil man become so powerful," and "Why would a country allow such
attrocities to be commited in their name?"  Another comment I often hear is
that, "It could never happen here."

Hitler was a master of propaganda.  He used fear to manipulate the people.  He
combined this with a groundswell of nationalistic pride and a powerful military,
and before long, the people were willing to sacrifice the rights of one of their
minorities for the safety of the majority.

I think many people who weren't there think that Hitler got elected on a
platform of genocide, but that simply wasn't the case.  there was a gradual and
sinister evolution.  I wonder if I am seeing many of the same early warning
signs in my own country?  after all, we've only invaded two countries in the
last four years.  The cyclical nature of history tends to affect those who don't
know it the most.

How far off are we from our own version of Kristallnacht?

-Mike