 Off-Topic / Debate / 27425
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:12:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Heckel wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Heckel wrote:

   I think I need to make my original question more explicit. Of all the many reasons to object to a swastika spaceship, I’d like to know why you chose “because it offends Germans”. Why didn’t you once mention the feelings of Jews? Is it because they’re not going to Heaven?

I mention Germans because there are a lot of German AFOLs. I know some personally. They are great guys. And I would rather not have them believe that English speaking people are a bunch of jerks who joke about things which are uncomfortable for them at best. That’s not “playing well” in my book.

So you mean to say Germans can’t take a joke, and need defending. Alright then, good enough for me.

Not at all. Germans have a very keen sense of humor. I mean that making light of something very disturbing to someone else is not a very civil thing to do, no matter how keen their sense of humor is. And it is uncomfortable for me to watch someone make light of something very disturbing to someone, especially when the someone is a friend and when I am associated with the provocateur.

   As for Jews, I don’t know many, if any, AFOL Jews. But it’s different for Jews anyway. They are the victims of the Nazis; the Germans are the decendents of the Nazis.

So what does that mean? That Germans are made more uncomfortable by it than Jews?

I don’t know. I know there are Jews who have made light of Nazis; I know of no Germans who have.

<snippage>

Well, you should’ve specified “German AFOLs who read these boards”, then.

Okay, that’s a fair statement. Not necessary, but would have helped to clarify.

<snip>

I doubt “sticking it to the Germans” was Allister’s intent. But you could ask him.

I think he stated as much. Now, how it is perceived by them is another matter.

   More importantly, are you trying to distract us from your ridiculous theory that only Germans can make Nazi jokes?

I never said that. Go back and reread what I said.

You said, “I would guess that only a German would have any hope of making light of that subject,” which didn’t float. Which is part of why that post seemed so thoroughly suspicious. Did you mean “German AFOLs” again?

What I meant was: Comparing people of other countries to Germans who would joke about the Nazis to Germans, I would guess that only a German would have any hope of success. Jo-Jo said that not even Germans attempt to joke about it among Germans. So there you go. By analogy: If a particular black man is offended by another black man calling him the N-word, I certainly have no chance not offending that same black man by calling him the N-word.

<snip>

   You should go see her movie and form your own opinion.

She is nothing new. There has been a parade of offensive comedians before her, beginning with Lenny Bruce AFAIK. Not my cup of tea. I find the idea that “as long as I am an equal opportunity offender, it’s all good” to be a lame one at best.

<snip>

   Because you had to backpedal from your Only Germans Can Make Nazi Jokes theory.

I said that I believed that only Germans would (might) have a chance to make light of the subject. Jo-Jo says no, so I believe him.

<snip>

Well, where would we be without a little forum drama?

We all could do with a little less drama...

<snip>

   I guess that’s where you and me will have to agree to disagree, then.

Fair enough.

JOHN