 Off-Topic / Debate / 27417
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 06:18:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

   this post>. I wanted to see if I could render the ‘theme’ in a less offensive, more comical way, with a more accomplished model. The aim is not to stir up controversy, but to see if the space nazis can be done without stirring it up.

Dude. Nazism and Nazi symbols are offensive to Germans. Period. What is so hard to understand about that? Your little science project is doomed from the beginning. I mean, shesh-- imagery like that is illegal in a Democratic State, for crying out loud. What’s funny about that?

So, if I understand you correctly, only innoffensive and legal things are appropriate subjects for humour?

News to me, and almost every comedian on the planet.

No, you don’t understand me correctly.

Well it’s not a new idea to make a joke out of nazism. Mel Brooks

He’s a Jew. Different issues there.

Maybe for you.

   and Hogan’s Heroes spring to mind.

That show is about forty years old.

The war was even longer ago than that. I’m not sure where you’re coming from here.

   I personally don’t think any subject should be out of bounds for humour, but it depends a lot on the execution. I’m hoping I carried it off well enough, but that’s ultimately up to the audience.

Not for any German audience I suspect. Just as only blacks can call each other the N-word, and Jews have “permission” to joke about Jews, I would guess that only a German would have any hope of making light of that subject, and certainly not an outsider from Aussie.

That sounds a bit racist, John.

Which part? And what is “a bit racist” as opposed to simply “racist”? Sorry, I just think that that term is getting a little overused these days...

   Explain to me exactly how your opinion as an outsider from the USA carries more weight?

I can’t, because it doesn’t. Never said it did.

   Would you be happier if I made a joke moc about the genocide on the Australian Aborigianls?

Nope.

   Also, please don’t make any assumptions about my background. You have no way of knowing whether or not the holocaust effected me or my family at all.

That’s not the point in my estimation. I don’t care if you are Jewish and your whole family was wiped out in ovens-- I personally don’t think that joking about the holocaust is ever an appropriate thing to do. And I dare you to cite even one person who personally experienced that horror who has chosen to joke about it.

   I categorically can’t find it funny because I know that it offends Germans.

Can’t you make up your own mind?

Huh? I just stated my view.

   Don’t worry about the Germans, John.

No, Allister, they are exactly whom I’m worried about. I’ve already stated that. My issue isn’t whether or not your MOC had humorous merit, but how a public display of such a MOC will affect international AFOL relationships.

   I’m sure they’ll let me know if it does offend them.

Assuming that they read LUGNET of course. One that does let you know, and right away. Jo-Jo basically wants to know what you find so fascinating about Nazis and Nazi symbols that universally represent the cruelest hatred ever displayed by mankind. You pass off your MOC as some sort of sociological test to test the limits of people’s tolerance. Did you really believe that everyone would laugh right along with you? Sometimes you seem to imply “yes”, and sometimes “no”. I get the feeling that you haven’t thought this through very well.

   Does it offend you? Being offended on behalf of people you don’t know is pretty arrogant imo.

Hmm. Personally, it doesn’t offend me. But I would call it offensive, as in the passive voice, because I know that there are people who find it (legitimately) offensive. I’m not offended on behalf of anyone, just ashamed I suppose.

   Hey, just for kicks-- go post your MOC on 1000Steine and see what happens. If that idea gives you pause, then maybe there are some deeper issues to which you are oblivious and should have addressed before you embarked on your build.

I won’t, but not because of the reasons you think. If I was a member and regular poster there, and understood German, I wouldn’t hesitate to post it there.

Wow. I think you are totally clueless as to how much this subject is taboo in Germany. You would probably get kicked off the board for starters.

   I have no compunctions about making a joke on taboo subjects. But I’m not a member, and doing it would just be trolling.

It would be anyway! Do you see any German AFOLs creating such MOCs? Hell, no. And there are very good reasons, too.

   But all this moot. This moc and comic is pure spoof.

Hmm, but now isn’t that up to the viewer to decide?

   You are the one making all these negative associations,

Are you kidding me? Are you seriously implying that it is I who is creating the association of unspeakable horror and hatred with the swastika? That “negative association” predates me, my friend.

   and that is your choice. I can’t help it if your own prejudices limit your ability to appreciate a joke.

Don’t say that to me; save it for the Jews and the Germans.

JOHN