 Off-Topic / Debate / 27456
Re: Rückkehr der Raumnazin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2006 16:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Yoder wrote:

   You are wrong to make the analogy between the rise of Hitler and our current government because the 2 are nothing alike. To refute your claim is pointless because it is so obviously inaccurate. Criticize our government all you want (and be ready to offer effective solutions), but please leave the tired Nazi analogies out of it.

The analogy is tired, but it is a good example of a modern western leader elected in a democratic process with promises to make the average citizen’s life better who ended up bringing devastation to his country and the world.

So, you are saying that our current government has brought devastation to our country and the world, is that correct?

   We obviously have very different worldviews and are unlikely to convince each other of anything.

That well may be true, but it is not necessarily my objective to move you on any particular position, but at least to be clear exactly what your (or any) positions are. So, once the ideas are clearly represented and on the table, then their merits can be seen and sides can be taken.

   I’m not sure if this is the appropriate venue for this discussion, but if you’d like to continue, please E-mail me.

Again we disagree:-) No, Mike, this is the perfect place! What’s nice when doing it publically is that new ideas and perspectives can be added to the discussion which can make the exchange of ideas much more enlightening. A public tarring and feathering is also possible, so thick skin and/or a nicely woven asbestos suit is an assest, but for the most part the effort is worth it. What I don’t like about discussions in a forum such as this this that it is so easy to be misunderstood, and so difficult at times to dispel wrong assumptions, and that can be frustrating, but again, I find the overall experience a positive one.

   I would look foreward to it, as I don’t actually know anyone who thinks like you in the real world.

Dude, you need to get out more;-) That worries me a little that you’ve already formed an opinion as to how I think (assuming that you are basing your statement on only our little exchange) because all I’ve really stated is that the analogy to the rise of Hitler and the “rise” of the Bush Administration is a bogus one.

But I admire your desire to engage people who hold different ideas than yours. What you will find is that it helps you clarify/modify/rethink your own. Getting everyone to think is good I think:-)

   Lets agree that Legos are cool,

But of course, but beware; them’s fightin’ words in this venue-- just ask a guy named Dave!

   and Lego swastikas are silly!

Well, I wouldn’t say “silly”. They represent hatred and everything that is bad about humanity, so I would call them evil.

   Live Free or Die!

Now you’re talking like an American:-)

Happy New Year!

JOHN