 Off-Topic / Debate / 27396
Re: Activist Judges (was Re: Woo-hoo! Dover gets it right!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:20:53 GMT

   Well I’ll be darned. This may be one of the few times that the stopped clock of Dubya’s brain got it right

I bet that caused you physical pain to admit that, Dave! :-)

You know, I have no problem with evolution being taught as a theory (not fact) in school, as long as the issue is handled honestly:
  • Evolution is a theory, filled with questions and misunderstandings. It is our best idea about where life came from, but could be proved totally wrong tomorrow.

  • The Big Bang and other theories of the origin of the universe must not be taught, as they are not scientific, being beyond the purview of science.
I actually love scientists who are brutally honest. It’s pretty humbling to acknowledge that for all we know in this modern day and age, we still have no idea about what constitutes 90% of the matter in our universe.

JOHN

John,

As a scientist I feel the need to be brutally honest here. You don’t appear to understand the concept of science and theories.

Evolution is a theory (a proposed ‘model’ of ‘behaviour’ which has not been disproved). So is all science. Science (note I say Science and not scientists) deals in theories and hypotheses, not facts. Facts are for zealots (be they religious or otherwise, some are even scientists). In fact, only maths has theorems and even those rely on a presupposed set of rules (look up formal logic if interested).

So as a scientist I have to ask “How valid is this theory?”. In the case of lasers (for example) it is pretty darn valid in that it works almost all the time it has been tried.

Evolution is pretty darn evident too although, given the time scales involved and the quantity of direct evidence (there is a some but not much) it relies a lot on indirect evidence.

The Big Bang and other origin-of-universe theories (yes they are theories since they have not been disproved) are less evident but they are still considered to be good models of the early universe. They are certainly not speculative enough that they should be removed from school curricula as being unscientific.

There is one realm of study which is known to be highly speculative and nonfactual (in the sense you meant it) and is taught in schools around the world. It is religion. There is no evidence (in the scientific sense) for it at all.

That’s it for now.

Tim