 Off-Topic / Debate / 24089
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 10:43:32 GMT

   But what does that mean? Humility is irrelevant. Your obfuscation is a dodge.

When someone observed to Winston Churchill that his predecessor as prime minister, Neville Chamberlain, was a humble man, Churchill is reported to have replied, “And he has so much to be humble about.”

Ditto for some current European leaders and opinion shapers, I think...

It turns out that if you leave a few words out of the search

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=%22much+to+be+humble+about%22+churchill&btnG=Search

you get a lot of sites with cites, most of which say that Churchill was talking about Clement Atlee, not Chamberlain, and most of which have a different wording. My memory of the quote was faulty and it caused me to do too narrow a search resulting in finding only one site to cite (via cut and paste).

Further, I failed to properly attribute the cite to the source, as I was composing the post rather hastily. That, however, doesn’t mean that speed excuses improper crediting.

Is this really the best explanation you can come up with after 15 months? That is not how it looks. It looks like you tried to pass someone else’s words off as your own (plagiarism) and infringed their IP rights in the process.

Read your own words on this issue: “plagarism of a random line or two here in .debate... I find that... “crime” rather small beer (within the context of a greater acts of plagiarism).”

So was it plagiarism or not? The facts clearly indicate that is was; as a result you owe me an apology. Unless you care to show how I have lied regarding this issue?

My apologies to anyone inconvenienced by this incorrect (and uncredited) cite.

My further apologies to anyone inconvenienced by certain people accusing me of being a plagiarist based on this one incident, or on any other cases where I may have misattributed wording that was properly that of other people.

Hopefully that should clear some things up. But I have my doubts. I’m sure there are other slipups by me out there

That really is a shame; I have enjoyed some of the text you have posted here.

   for assidious and malintentioned nitpickers to find.

If you are going to insult me, please at least check your spelling first; Don has to look these “big words” up in his pocket dictionary! ;-)

Scott A