 Off-Topic / Debate / 19062
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:56:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
A straw man argument is setting up an easy but inaccurately depicted target
that you can knock down.  "America is wasting the oil it gets from Saddam,
so it must go to war with him."  If it was getting it already, why would it
need to go to war?  Is the oil really going to America?  No.

Even though I can easily agree with you on that (oil for US consumption
which is not from the GoM or Alaska comes primarily either from Venezuela or
West African countries), I think I must point out one does not need to *use*
the oil to benefit from it. We both know that the majority of the companies
who exploit the oil in the Arabian Region are american-controlled, and that
they generate a lot of profit from the drilling activity...
So yes, you are right in what you said *as you said it*. Just please don't
claim in the future that the oil from the Persian Gulf does not benefit the
US in any way - you haven't *said it*, but it can be implied from your
passionate rufuse of iraqui oil consumption by the US. Or am I 100% wrong? :-)

Wrong in the sense that I never said that U.S. companies do not benefit from
Middle Eastern oil in any way.  Dave is saying we want their oil because we
are sucking up so much Middle Eastern oil (and specifically Iraqi oil) with
our SUVs.  My point is that we don't really depend on middle eastern oil,
and certainly not Iraqi oil (directly, I understand that the oil market is
interconnected and not wholly divorcable).  There is a great deal of finger
pointing in Europe at America for wanting the oil, but no acknowledgement of
the real situation: those doing the biggest pointing are the ones currently
getting the oil.  Who's position is more suspect?

Of course, Bush is getting what he wants right now: higher profit margins
for the oil companies based on sheer speculation.  But really, what drives
Bush is idiocy ("Never attribute to malice what can be explained by
stupidity").  Somehow he thinks he has the moral imperative to oppose all
"terrorism" (as he defines it) anywhere in the world.  All I can say is he
didn't even win a plurality of the vote *here*, much less abroad.  :-)

-->Bruce<--