 Off-Topic / Debate / 19095
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:41:11 GMT

Why bring Islam?

Because these extremists are *using* Islam to justify their evil actions.  The
Muslim world should be *far* more vocal in their distancing of themselves from
radicalism.  I don't hear it though.

Problem is, you're not going to. Not saying there aren't lots of repressive
regimes in the non Muslim world, mind you, but there sure aren't very many
NON repressive ones in the Muslim (and particularly, the Arab) world.
Dissent is carefully controlled and carefully suppressed.

Hard to argue with that. Yet I call you attention to the fact that the
Algerian dicatorship is on the anti-islamist side, making it a whole more
complicated matter.

Even in ally
states like Egypt and Turkey (states that I note, we apparently have to buy
allegiance from(1))

1 - Turkey apparently wants more than the 36B(? I forget the amount but it's
in the Billions) USD we offered them in grants and loans! I say offer them
nothing except reimbursement for direct costs, if that. We're the "world's
policeman" but apparently instead of *getting* paid, we have to pay the rest
of the world for the privilege of doing their laundry for them. Fah.

If you were getting paid, wouldn't it be "tribute" to the ruling empire?
wouldn't they then have the right to demand representation in the Capitol? ;-)

I can't help arguing they have a point - in case the war begins, they can be
reached by Al-Samoud missiles, the US cannot. They are risking a lot more in
terms of civilian populace, while the US are risking troops who joined
voluntarily. There is a difference!

And of course, the effects of the 99 crisis are still being felt :-/

Pedro