 Off-Topic / Debate / 19099
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:32:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

I don't watch CNN-- heck, I don't watch network news either because as you
correctly point out, they are agenda-driven.

Worse: even when the agenda is not there visibly, all we get is a snapshot
of a detail and not the panoramic view.

Agreed.

<snip>

And again I pick my comparison: what happened to dissidents in the 1500's?
they went to the stake. The modern day equivalent varies according to
country, in Algeria is a slit throat for instance :-(

Okay, but what about the vast Muslim population in free societies such as the
US, or even, say, France?

Have you even looked?

From Aug '98 [ie before the USA woke up to terrorism]:

Fight terrorism, but not through Draconian laws
http://www.mcb.org.uk/news250898.html

"the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) said the British Muslim community has no
sympathy whatsoever for any act of terrorism, local or foreign, Muslim or
non-Muslim, state or individual, and would support all just and legitimate
measures to deal with the problem."

[later]

"The Muslim Council of Britain further notes with alarm the latest outbreak of
Islamophobia and the tendency by many respectable media to connect each and
every incident of violence with 'Islamic terrorism' because someone made a
telephone call or faxed a message on behalf of a never-heard-of-before-or-after
'International Jihad organisation'. Even a cub reporter knows that Jihad cannot
be declared by fax or telephone."

Post 911:

MCB Condemns Attacks In Bali
http://www.mcb.org.uk/presstext.php?ann_id=15

British Muslims Launch Book About September 11 And The Aftermath
http://www.mcb.org.uk/presstext.php?ann_id=13

A Year On: Reflections and Concerns of British Muslims
http://www.mcb.org.uk/presstext.php?ann_id=12

Faiths for Peace Initiative
http://www.mcb.org.uk/presstext.php?ann_id=7

MCB condemns killing of Christians in Pakistan
http://www.mcb.org.uk/301001.html

British Muslims Urge Justice not Vengeance
http://www.mcb.org.uk/190901.html

I've yet to meet a Muslim who owns an AK47. ;)

Scott A