 Off-Topic / Debate / 19047
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:30:26 GMT

That controversial commercial about that guy filling up his SUV is dead
on--the truth hurts and you Yankees don't want to hear it.

There ain't nothing you can say about Steinbrenner that can upset me.
Unless of course, if you refer to this Dodger fan as a "Yankee".  :-)

Come up with a
coherent foreign policy and if your gov't feels that there are 'rogue
nations', then you, as a citizen of your country, should support that by not
buying goods/services/whatever from these nations--guess where your oil
comes from?

It shouldn't be too hard to guess where France's oil comes from, that's for
sure.  :-)

Guess who's funding these terrorist?

Which terrorists?  Al Qaeda?  Are you implying that it's the US government?
Iraqi (international) terrorists?  Figment of Bush's imagination, so I don't
see how we can be funding the non-existent.

Who gave the weapons to
these countries in the first place?

"These" countries?  Iraq?  Who gave them weapons of mass destruction (who
the hell came up with that term?)?  Gas?  Any evidence that it was the US?
Nukes or radioactive material?  Ummmmm, wasn't it France that gave Iraq that
reactor (France, you know, that country that gets Iraq's oil and surprise,
surprise, supports them)?

If you mean conventional weapons: Bush's daddy (a decade ago)!  Now, how
John can scream about them dang liberal leftists being the problem, I don't
know, but there it is!

It's the same as your drug
problem--you're funding both sides of the war on drugs as well--your kids
are buying and your police agencies are fighting the people who make the
stuff.  You're pumping gas into your wasteful vehicles, funding these
countries, and your gov'ts fighting against them.

I take it then, that Canadians aren't buying SUVs?

But nope, you Yanks want your freedom to do as you please while everybody
else is the bad guy.

Are you honestly saying that Saddam Hussein isn't a bad man?  I mean, there
are lots of reason not to be going to war with him that I think are
perfectly legitimate, but this is not one of them.  I think you only hurt
your cause by taking that angle.

I was at that peace rally in downtown Toronto on the weekend--supposedly
100,000+ people.  I was there--the people I saw weren't hippies and
beatniks, they were business people, students, professors, families--in
other words, people with possibly more than a semblance of
intelligent/rational thought--and they were there protesting this 'holy
war'.  So then the question comes down to, 'if intelligent folks are against
this war, why are some for it?'

I think your train of thought got derailed here and I'm not wholly sure what
you intended.  If you mean, the opponents of war come from all walks of
life, which should give the proponents of war pause due to the broad-based
opposition, yes, I agree (I'm out there protesting, too).  If you mean that
the intelligent exclusively are on the side of peace, then I think you are
not going to win a lot of respect.

And the only answer I come up with is 'cause those that want the war want
the war for *no* rational reason--they just want the war "'cause that's just
how it's always been done."

Seems like another in a long line of straw man arguments.

-->Bruce<--