 Off-Topic / Debate / 19070
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:40:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

<snip>

Pedro, you are missing the point.  Even if SH isn't crazy enough to fire off a
nuke at an enemy (which is in and of itself debatable), he's smart enough and
perfectly willing to give one to a looney like OBL who IS looney enough to
denotate one (thus SH having his dirty work done for him).

You can turn that the other way around: even Saddam is clever enough to know
he cannot rely in such a lunatic as OBL. Saddam has managed to keep power
for so long due to a careful choice of allies; he is well aware OBL cannot
be controlled!
And to a lesser degree, Saddam is not prepared to share the stage of events.

Mike's point is that the enemy is not a nation state, but rather
_territory-less_ religious fanatics from (and supported by) many states.  The
only way to prevent terrorism is to deal HARSHLY with states who would and do
support them.

Religious fanatics are not an exclusive of the muslim belief, as you are
much well aware of; and they exist everywhere, not only under dictatorships.

It's not that I have a problem with religious fanatics, it's what those
fanatics *do*.  I would venture that 90% of the world's terrorism is
perpetrated by Muslim fanatics.

I'd "venture" 99% of the terrorism the UK has suffered has been perpetrated
people who'd call themselves "Christians". However, Christianity is not what
drives them. – it’s greed, nationalism and to a lesser extent some form of
political ideology.

Likewise, was the Oklahoma bombing perpetrated by a Christian, or a "loony" who
happened to be a Christian? Furthermore, I'd be the last person to link Israeli
terrorism to the Jewish faith, [How many have died in the Middle East due to
the interpretation of religious texts by right-wing extremists/nationalists in
the Christian and Jewish faiths?] but is Zionism not a form of religious
fundamentalism?

All this does not mean that nationalists [etc] do not use religion as a
recruiting tool. Nor does it mean that religion is not a common factor which
links some of the world’s “victims”. Do you think the USA was attacked in 2001
because it is not a Muslim state, or because of perceptions regarding the US
foreign policy?

Scott A