 Off-Topic / Debate / 19057
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:09:38 GMT

Are you honestly saying that Saddam Hussein isn't a bad man?  I mean, there
are lots of reason not to be going to war with him that I think are
perfectly legitimate, but this is not one of them.  I think you only hurt
your cause by taking that angle.

I have said elsewhere that Saddam is a bad man--a very very very bad man
(waggles finger like Seinfeld ep.)
Here's something I learned in grade
school--two wrongs make a right?  I tink it's a perfetly legitimate
arguement--we wants what we wants at the expense of others.  Call it
complacency, call it 'don't throw my trash in my back yard', call it what
you will, but what it comes down to is selfish righteousness--'lookit
us--look how great we've become' at the continuing expense of those around you.

But this was not the point you were making.  How can you castigate the
United States for its policy in regards to Iraq on the basis of the US
trying to portray everyone as a bad man?  Is he a bad man?  Yes?  Then you
admit that particular argument is invalid.

Dubya is a bad man.  Cretien is a bad man.  Blair is a bad man.  I can line
up people that have said that these leaders have done very bad things to
their citizens, either thru their actions or inactions in the legislative
process.

Calling someone else 'bad' while saying we're 'good' is hypocritical.

Arrgg.  This kind of moral equivalency is probably the most aggravating
characteristic of the Left.  To be unable to distinguish between being morally
good and evil is *basic*!  Dave, you sound silly when you call Bush or Blair
"bad", but call Saddam "very, very, very, bad".  So we are ALL bad and
therefore have no moral right to criticize *anyone* or anything?  Your problem
is that you are paralyzed in a sea of moral relativity.  The truth is that you
don't have to be perfect to recognize (or condemn) evil.

JOHN