 Off-Topic / Debate / 19078
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:33:29 GMT

It's not that I have a problem with religious fanatics, it's what those
fanatics *do*.  I would venture that 90% of the world's terrorism is
perpetrated by Muslim fanatics.

I'd "venture" 99% of the terrorism the UK has suffered has been perpetrated
people who'd call themselves "Christians".

The difference is that 99.5% of *Christians* would condemn their actions.  How
many in the Arab world condemn Extremist Muslims' actions?  The silence is
deafening.

However, Christianity is not what
drives them. ? it?s greed, nationalism and to a lesser extent some form of
political ideology.

So why bring Christianity into the discussion in the first place?

Likewise, was the Oklahoma bombing perpetrated by a Christian, or a "loony" >who
happened to be a Christian? Furthermore, I'd be the last person to link
Israeli terrorism to the Jewish faith, [How many have died in the Middle East
due to
the interpretation of religious texts by right-wing extremists/nationalists in
the Christian and Jewish faiths?] but is Zionism not a form of religious
fundamentalism?

Again, you analogy is flawed.  The overwhelming majority of Christians and Jews
*CONDEMN* terrorist acts perpetrated in the name of their respective
religions.  This is not the case in the Islamic world.

All this does not mean that nationalists [etc] do not use religion as a
recruiting tool. Nor does it mean that religion is not a common factor which
links some of the world?s ?victims?. Do you think the USA was attacked in 2001
because it is not a Muslim state, or because of perceptions regarding the US
foreign policy?

If you believe that the US foreign policy is the cause of the attack on 9-11,
then how would you explain the countless acts of terror of Islamic
Fundamentalists around the world?  The fact is that they are simply intolerant
of *anyone* who does not view the world as they do.  The reason for their
terrorism is their hatred and intolerance.

JOHN