 Off-Topic / Debate / 19075
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:51:13 GMT

"I take it then, that Canadians aren't buying SUVs?"  If you are going to
castigate Americans for something that Canadians are doing (wasting oil
through self-indulgence), you aren't going to garner a lot of respect for
whatever point you are trying to make.

I love analogies...

If I know someone who has an alcohol problem, do I have to have an alcohol
problem?

No, but if you do, then perhaps you should attend to yourself before
lecturing others.

(major snip)

I hope that's clear enuf.

I read where you were running on about someone hating Islam, which has
nothing to do with the subject at hand, so I simply deleted it as not
germane to the discussion.

Canada, again, continues to try to have a
cohesive, coherent, and Just foreign policy.  Sure we fail, but *we* are not
leading the world into a 'holy war' against Iraq.  We Canadians didn't
supply arms, training, and WoMD (or the knowledge to build same) to Iraq and
now are trying to blow 'em up.

Yes, and I challenged you to point out which weapon of mass destruction that
we gave to Iraq, and I haven't seen a response.  And we already blew up the
arms in the previous war.  :-)

Get off the "Well, look at you who has SUV's and are as wasteful as us"--it
doesn't cut it--that's a straw man if I ever seen it-

You brought up the subject of SUVs as if it had great significance.  If you
wish to admit now it is a straw man argument, then that's fine by me, but
realize it was you that raised the target, not me.

-We're not at war with
Iraq, you are,

????  No we aren't.

and you're dragging us kicking and screaming into it for your
own hypocrtitical vendetta against someone who poses *no* threat to
Americans, who has done *nothing* to Americans, and who will probably
continue to do *nothing* to Americans unless the Americans, with all their
blustering about this 'Holy War', dare Iraq to knock the chip off of
Americs's collective shoulder.
Then, and *only* then, will SH strike
against America (and only the Americans who just happen to be surrounding
his country).  Sure he is a bad man, sure he hasn't been good to his people
and we all should work out something to prevent that from happening but
that's not what we're doing.  This thinly veiled guise of 'holy war on
Terror' and 'protecting Americans' is blatant hypocricy.  SH didn't fly
planes into your buildings, SH doesn't talk about a war against the
'tyrannical Americans'.  As a matter of fact, SH, even with his 'filibuster'
against the inspectors, is still doing more for peace at this moment than
Dubya is.  THe inspections are still being done, the planes are flying and
surveying...  Slow on concessions to be sure, but it's a slow process, and
it's not as if we don't have the time--what's the rush?  Bush is talking
'War War War', whilst Saddam is talking 'Jaw Jaw Jaw'.

I was trying to get you to realize that you have indulged in more than a
little bit of hysteria in your writings.  All I seem to have done is provoke
you to more.  So I must end this discussion as counter-productive.  If you
descend into simplistic America bashing, be aware that people will swiftly
tune you out, and you only hurt your cause.

-->Bruce<--