 Off-Topic / Debate / 24096
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 15:22:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
for assidious and malintentioned nitpickers to find.

If you are going to insult me,

are you an assiduous and malintentioned nitpicker? If not, I wasn't talking to
you Scott, apologies if you think I was, but therefore I wasn't insulting you.

If you are, then, by your own admission, identifying you as such isn't an
insult, merely an identification.

please at least check your spelling first;
Don has to look these “big words” up in his pocket dictionary!  ;-)

I use google, and you're right, I did need to look up the first biggie.
Unfortunately the top link from google didn't help much:

<http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:IEoo9mL8uI8J:www.neoism.net/definition_index_2.html+definition+of+assidious&hl=en&start=1
definition of assidious>

Or maybe that was sneaky debator's trick for calling someone an insidious @$$
and passing it off as a typo?

Nope. merely a typo for assiduous:

From: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=assiduous (careful, it spawns
popups that not all stoppers stop)

"2. unceasing, persistent"

Being called on that typo certainly proves part of my point, though. (watch for
a post saying 8 out of 9 instead of 7 out of 8) By the way, this thread might
prove interesting reading:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=18612&t=i&v=a

Note how hard Dave E. tries to get Scott to stop wiggling, without positive
result. Look how deep this thread gets:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=18778 with no real outcome.

Really, Don, (and Dave K) (as this did start with your remarking about debate
style, if I recall correctly) you'd be well served not to get into long back and
forths with Scott. There's no "there" there.