 Off-Topic / Debate / 19098
19097  |  19099
Subject:
Paper Tigers [Re: What about the first?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:44:31 GMT

But what does that mean?  Humility is irrelevant.  Your obfuscation
is a dodge.

When someone observed to Winston Churchill that his predecessor as prime
minister, Neville Chamberlain, was a humble man, Churchill is reported to
have replied, "And he has so much to be humble about."

I feared that quote may have been erroneous. I did some checking. It turns up
only in one place on the web:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=churchill&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=so+much+to+be+humble+about
or
http://www.gazettearchives.com/faith2000/_disc4/000000bc.htm
==+==
When someone observed to Winston Churchill that his predecessor as prime
minister, Neville Chamberlain, was a humble man, Churchill is reported to have
replied, "And he has so much to be humble about."
==+==

It's strange that both you and Rev. Mike Macdonald use the *exact* same
syntax[?].

I prefer this quote:
"The greatest friend of Truth is time, her greatest enemy is prejudice, and her
constant companion Humility." [Colton]

These days there is too little time, truth  & humility.

Ditto for some current European leaders and opinion shapers, I think...

All that said, Churchill was not a man best known for his humility - that's why
he's respected as wartime leader. Words from Henry V come to mind:

==+==
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger:
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.
==+==

Churchill was pretty good at the tiger stuff, but not so good in peacetime.
Bush, Blair & Co are not Churchill. Bush, Blair & Co are paper tigers.

Scott A