 Off-Topic / Debate / 19101
Re: What about the first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:58:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

<snip>

And again I pick my comparison: what happened to dissidents in the 1500's?
they went to the stake. The modern day equivalent varies according to
country, in Algeria is a slit throat for instance :-(

Okay, but what about the vast Muslim population in free societies such as the
US, or even, say, France?

Regarding the US, I have no insight. Regarding France, two things take place:
a) the vast majority of the muslim citizens has a feeling of distance
towards politics (to which a number of explanations concurr);
b) the extremists who do exist are concentrated in the "banlieues" of Paris
and Marseille - if it were't Islamic extremism, it would be something else
to catalize the unrest due to misery. Without a job, one has a lot of time
to think in politics and such :-/

The further one gets from the Middle East region, the more one realizes how
wrongly our perception of muslims in general is guided - even though you'll
never admit it, if the dominant religion in the Middle East were
Christianism, there would still be conflict!

You would have to paint a scenario, because I can't see your point.

Scenario:
Figure that the crusades on the 11th century, after their initial success,
proceeded to capture more than just a few coastal cities; that they even
expanded as far as the Persian border.
Now immagine they had resisted counterstrikes from Muslim powers. And that
to this day, the place would be a "Christian land".
#1 - there would still be an ongoing conflict, Muslim/Christian.
#2 - there would have been a Jew/Christian conflict; It would be harder to
accept massive Jewish immigration for a "Christian nation" in 1900, there
just wasn't the tolerance (1).
#3 - endemic conflicts would occurr due to the most petty of matters: water.
There is plenty in Mesopothamia and Turkey, but it lacks in Syria and
Palestine - so even among the "Christian nations" that would exist over
there we would see conflict.

Okay, I see your point.  But realize that even within Christianity itself there
are *vast* differences, to the point of war! Eastern Orthodox Christianity is
probably less familiar to me than Reformed Judaism.

I can not argue with that. It's the same with all "big" religions.

The fact is that they are simply intolerant
of *anyone* who does not view the world as they do.  The reason for their
terrorism is their hatred and intolerance.

Ok, let's try this angle:
When I was younger, my parents used to take me to a Dominican Friars' chapel
to attend mass; years later, when I knew it had been the Dominican Friars
who were in charge of the Inquisition, I was confused: if they had done that
and the gospels were still the same now as then, was I attending a service
guided by a criminal organization?
So I spoke with one of the Friars about this. What he told me then, I'll
never forget: "Those who did that were insane men in a time of great
changes; they found a motive, means, and then it became an escape goat. As
soon as the 'novelty' became common knowledge, the need for social
revolution faded - and the insanity was abandoned"
What I read in his words regarding "time of changes" was the age of
exploration: gold, then like now, makes men behave irrationally. Only
today's gold comes from oil pits rather than Monteczuma's treasure :-)

My point: massive intolerance it's not intrinsecal to Islam. *Now* it's
happening with Islam, as it happened with Christianity 500 years ago, and
the same way it's more than likely to happen with other creeds for as long
as there are men and women willing to follow organized religion.
Why is Islam the current, so to speak, unstable society? Because there has
been a quick shake of the social foundation in the past half century, and
the society was not ready yet. So there was a conservative reaction, a
"return to the purist values"; the escape goat became Israel (as always),
the means became the oil-dollars, and it all began.

So we agree that there is massive Muslim intolerance, but what are we to *do*
about it?

I agree such intolerance exists, but that it is being induced - it is not a
natural feeling with the commonfolk.

All the more reason to cut off the head of despots who don't represent the will
and natural feeling of the commonfolk IMO.

The thing is, there *isn't* a natural feeling. If one weren't induced, all
we'd see would be indifference.
Now, the thing is: do you want indifference, or a positive feeling towards
you (in generic terms)? If the first, then go ahead and "off with their
heads!"; if the second, then it's a lot more complicated - it'd take a new
"inductive agent".
That's part of the "afterwards" problem: sure SH can be erradicated... and
then what?

Christianity may have gone sour 500 years ago, but what was the
worst case scenario back then?

Can it get worse in concept? Killing people for believing different, and
sometimes NOT EVEN THAT?
Don't bother to provide the "German 1930s example" - only the numbers are
different.

You are correct; it can't get worse in concept.  My point was that it was worse
due to the sheer numbers potentially involved.

As you mentioned, things corrected themselves.
Today, however, the stakes are *vastly* higher.  One small group conceivabley
has the power to extinguish millions of lives with the press of a button.  We
cannot afford to ride out the storm-- the potential price is too high.

Ah, but there is a good thing nowadays: access to information is easier.
Litteracy is more spread out. Communication is easier.
So the process of abandoning "hard-core" religious lifestyle won't take as
much time now :-)

I agree!  Just as industrialization has sped up for successive modern
countries, hopefully the maturation of Islam will speed up as well to catch up
with the 21st century.

(I'd like to call your attention to the fact I didn't call Islam "immature"
- I think it's suffering a conservative reaction to change, and that it is
just part of the development for any society, in more than one moment)

But in the meantime, one of the things (only thing?)
such an immature world view respects is raw power and bold force.  The absolute
*worst* response to terrorism is non-violence, because this only emboldens
terrorists to step up their terrorist activities.

I can understand your point. Of course, the downside of the violent approach
is that it too causes an escalade :-/

Israel has taught us this.

Israel, like any other nation, has taught us good and bad things. One of the
bad ones is how *not* to start a nation (despite its right to exist).

A *crushing* defeat of such a POV would go a *long* way to help extremist
muslims see the error of their radical ways.  It is *impossible* to negotiate
with terrorists, because once you do, you have lost, because the terrorists see
that you don't have the stomach to fight.

Of course. Now, are we discussing Iraq, or something else?

They are willing to die for their twisted cause; we must be ready to kill
(and die) for freedom's sake.  Freedom
isn't free-- it has a price.  We must be willing to pay the price of freedom,
or we will surely loose it.

You say you'd die for a cause. I would give my life for it too.
Now what particular authority would you recognize to a foreigner to say that
cause were twisted, even if he were right? Wouldn't you follow the group you
were living in, in which you were taught, in which you recognized the system
of values? It's a matter of authority, the kind of authority that comes from
within a society and not from the outside.

It is my fear that it is going to take the detonation of a WOMD to wake the
world up to the threat that faces it.

We all know the threats. They aren't new, BTW. They just shifted actors.

I disagree.  For example, the Soviets and the Americans pointing 10,000s of
nukes at each seemed dangerous on the surface, but the strategy of Mutually
Assured Destruction actually got both countries through the cold war (except of
course the USSR, a casualty, albeit *peaceful* casualty of the cold war:)
because nobody wanted to die.

The nukes weren't dismantled - their owners changed names. So I keep my stance.

This new threat is altogether different.  Mutually assured destruction is a
perfectly valid outcome for a suicide bomber who has the promise of N number of
virgins to look forward to in the afterlife.  Now the threat becomes highly
dangerous, because one side is irrational and has no value for human life, not
even their own.

You fail to see one thing: a suicide bomber, acting alone, does not have
access to nukes; acting in groups, he may have. But then the problem remains
for the rest of the group: he may die to the purpose of improving his
group's position, but his group is erradicated as a consequence of his
death, rending the whole thing pretty much absurd. His death, to which he is
prepared, won't benefit those for which he dies.
It would take for every single muslim to be a suicidal in order for MAD to
lose its relevance. Will you claim that to be true?

We in the civilized world are not accustomed to this kind of
insane threat, and need to adjust our thinking accordingly.

"We in the civilized world"? The ones who have arranged for two world wars
already? I wonder what your standard is :-S

Is that the only difference from my
position and yours and others who feel war isn't justified?  I'm curious-- what
would your reaction be to the scenario where a biological agent was released on
the eastern seaboard of the US which killed 5 million Americans?  And say it
was a strain that could be traced to Iraqi facilities.  Would that change your
position at all?

Yes. That is, by any standard, "casus belli". Even if noone were even
injured, that action would be enough. But you'd have to prove Iraq was
behind it, it wouldn't have to be them to prove the contrary!
I'll tell you what: IF anyone pushes the button on a WoMD, I'll join the
armed forces of the offended party and will only stop when the hand which
pushed it is severed from the body. Fair enough?

No, because we must *premptively* work to insure that we never reach such a
horrific "casus belli"[1].

Unless the benefit from such action for the alleged offender is none. What
would anyone gain in doing that?

Out of curiosity, have you seen "Minority Report"? It comes to mind whenever
I read "preemptive".
I also remember that episode with McArthur and the Korean nukes in 1950 -
what would have happened if he had "preemptively" bombed Vladivostok? The
russians never entered the war, despite what he thought... would they have
entered if attacked?

War at that point is a no-brainer!

That is what makes your war fair, unfortunately - the fact someone else
started it against you. That's also why it's said war IS a no-brainer,
period :-P

I am not
willing to wait for such catastrophic justification when a stitch in time could
have saved nine.

If you're going after the ones who were behind 9-11, go for it. I'm with
you. If you're going after Saddam for that reason, prove he was behind it first.
If you're going after whom you *think* will do similar actions, forget it.

[1] But the point is moot anyway-- horrific events have *already* occurred...
on 9-11-01.

Prove Saddam had anything to do with it. The Administrations has been trying
to do it for the past 17 months, and nothing yet - any chance he may be
innocent of that one in particular? If you want his head, let it at least be
for the right reasons!

Pedro