 Marketplace / Auctions / 1396
Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:30:32 GMT

   Larry, I think you already pointed this out - I had mentioned to Todd (in

this group), that people should only be able to bid by the increments, as a
way to eliminate this.  I did see this implemented on an obscure auction,

Ouch.  Chris, you are obscure!  And *I* thought it was Jude;-)  Check out
http://www.bussetech.com/auction/index.htm

-John

where instead of typing the bid, there was a drop down menu with the
permissible bids up to a certain amount (it allowed for a buyout price,
too).  With that drop down menu, although I just thought it was another
silly variation, it actually eliminated the chance of being outbid by a
penny or anything less than the increment.  Also, it decreases the
possibility of using a shill to bump up the price because in the event of a
tie, the first bidder gets the item at the exact price both bid, thus the
shill could easily go too high.  Since it is NOT fair (people complain when
things aren't fair, so I have seen) for one guy to take the bid by a penny,
when the previous bidder has to bid the full increment to get it back, I do
like this one feature of that particular auction (although I never found
Lego on it).

--

   Have fun!

John ( jdiri14897@email.msn.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS* Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m